moon

TW: past self harm, suicide, guns, abuse..

violetta fern zampino

(Five years ago...October 7th 2013)

"Happy Birthday, baby,"

mum's warm hands touch my shoulders as i look down at the vibrantly beautiful pink cake in front of me, 14 bright candles flashing with shadows around the cake, the dark kitchen silent besides the hum of my brother poe singing, his bright eyes matching mine almost perfectly. i sit up straighter as i feel my father's gross eyes tearing into every cell of my body. i can't see him, but I know hes there.

"Make a wish, violetta," my father's dark voice says, making me jump. he never talks to me, it is odd to hear his voice in such a way that isn't harmful to me. my mum's hands start to shake as i hear his chair squeak under the floor, sitting farther into the light. i lean forward, closing my eyes and the way that my father's smile grows is disgusting, his hand moving out to touch my shoulder, leaning into my ear and i shake as my mother's hands disappear, her moving aside for my father and he wraps his arm around my neck, my whole body trembling, hes never been so close to me before. his arm tightens, his lips by my ear and i can't even muster up words to tell him to stop.

I blow out my candles in one smooth breath.

"Welcome to the family business,violetta,"

(Four years ago...April 9th, 2014)

"mum! mum!" i scream out from poes arms, him shushing me as we hide under our bed, my whole body shaking as i hear the front door open, and fast steps are heard above us, a scream trying to leave my throat with every second but poes hand slaps over my mouth, holding me to his chest and i feel his heart hammering almost as fast as mine. my mum had been gone for almost an hour when the first gunshot bolts through the house and the scream that is left is one i could only recognize as my mothers, and the sound makes me and poe both still from under the bed, and i turn to look at him, his eyes filling with tears as heavy footsteps fall into the room, my whole body numb with each step. another gunshot. another scream.

lara. lara. lara. mum.

"get out from under the bed," my father's voice says, and there's not a single part of me that doesn't believe my father didn't just shoot my mother. i know he did, there's no way he had a heart big enough to keep the only person besides nate that I could confide in alive, hes too much of a horrible person for that.

"lara's been shot, i'm taking her to the hospital. stay here,"

(One Year Ago...November 17th 2017)

"mum?" i call out into the silent house, leaving my room where my clothes awaited to be folded. i don't hear a response as I walk into her room, hearing dripping coming from her bathroom, assuming that she had just gotten out of the shower. i step towards the door to her bathroom, listening for any noise, and i hear the door to the garage door slam downstairs, and i know my father is angry by the way his shoes slam against the stairs.

"m' coming in mum," i whisper and i turn the handle on her door, feeling the cold metal under my hands, and i push it open, stopping at the door. i see a rope, hanging from the ceiling above the bathtub, and I fall to my knees on the floor as her blood drips down the drain, her eyes wide and her hands blue.

"mum! MUM!" i scream out with every part of my being, her not moving and I run over to her lifeless body, trying to pull her down from that position. my father bursts through the door, and i can see the remnants of a smile on his face, my clothes covered in her blood as i hold her close to me, letting out the most painful sobs of my whole life. "mummy...mum," i cry into her hair, pushing her beautiful curls back and i sink further into the bathtub, sliding in my own tears.