27: Agony

It was not lost on Draco at how easily Harry navigated his way through the Ministry. He knew exactly where he was going. He also managed to avoid the few who were working so late- or early, depending on your perspective.

Harry came to an abrupt stop when he reached the hallway. He stretched his senses for danger, on high alert. Nothing stood out to him- he could tell there was one person waiting at the door. He rounded the corner, wand at the ready.

"Harry?" Remus asked incredulously, his own wand pointed, a fraction of a second from attacking.

Harry's shoulder's slumped in relief. "What did Sirius get me for my first birthday?"

Remus raised his brows. "A toy broomstick." He said. 

Harry lowered his wand, and jogged the remaining distance. He set a hand on Remus' shoulder, and felt his magic. It was Remus, without a doubt. "Thank god." Harry said softly.

"Harry, Ron, what are you doing here?" Remus asked.

"You need to get out of here." Harry said. "Well, I need to go destroy that thing."

"You know what's-?" Remus began, "Oh. Right."

"Let's make this quick." Harry said. "We don't want anyone else showing up."

"Quicker." Draco said, realizing he'd recognized a portrait they'd passed. "A portrait saw us."

Harry cursed, knowing which one he meant. A nasty man who was also in Malfoy Manor. "I forgot about that bastard, we removed him ages ago-" 

Harry bolted in the room, dashing through the shelves as Draco and Remus exchanged an awkward look before following. Where was it, where was it, which shelf? It had been so long... Harry ran right past it once, before halting and backtracking. 

Remus and Draco couldn't help but look around in awe at all the orbs, all prophecies. Harry snatched his from the shelf and met the other two on the way out. "Let's get going."

"What's the danger?" Remus asked once they were in an elevator. 

"Something changed." Harry said. "The dream I had- it used to be Arthur who was on guard- and it was a lot closer to Christmas."

"That doesn't tell me what's wrong, though. What do I need to watch out for?" Remus asked.

"Tom's snake, Nagini. And Death Eaters." Harry replied.

"That's lovely." Remus said, shifting his weight from foot to foot. 

Draco felt a weight in his gut. What if his father showed up? His mother? He looked like Ron Weasley, they wouldn't be afraid to attack him in some manner or other. He would have to fight them.

"You brought Ron but not Hermione?" Remus asked curiously. "How did she agree to that?"

"I'll explain later." Harry said. "That's not Ron."

Remus looked between the two of them with an expression akin to the horror of someone being allergic to your favorite food. "Who are you then?"

"A friend." Harry said, and the doors opened. "Trust me."

"For now." Remus agreed.

They didn't make it far after they left the elevator before Death Eaters blocked the path in front of them.

"Well, what a pleasant surprise." Lucius drawled. "I'm sure you know what we want, Potter. Hand over the prophecy."

Harry drew it from his pocket. "What, this thing?"

"Now's not the time for games, boy." One of the others said. Harry didn't care who. He was trying to figure out how to get Remus and Draco out safely.