14: Inheritance

Harry didn't say anything. He was too surprised to see Malfoy holding the book Harry needed to read through.

Malfoy was the first to recover, and walked right past Harry, headed for a table to sit at. "Well?" He said over his shoulder. "Don't you need to look through this as well?"

Harry awkwardly followed him to a table, tucked in the corner of the library. Malfoy sat down, and Harry took the seat next to him. The blond set the book between them, and opened A Collection of Magical Inheritances and Their Brief Descriptions to the front chapter index.

"It's arranged by rarity, and within the rarity groups it's alphabetized." Malfoy said. "So, what are you looking for?"

"I dunno. What are you?" Harry asked.

Malfoy gave Harry a look that made his heart stutter for a moment. "Potter, we're both here for the same reason."

"What?" Harry's breath caught.

"You're trying to figure out what magical inheritance you've got. So am I." Malfoy said.

"How did you-?"

"It really wasn't that much of a stretch," Malfoy said. "And you just confirmed it."

Harry stared.

"Now, what can you tell me to speed this process up?" Malfoy said.

"I don't know." Harry scratched at the back of his neck. "I thought I'd just read until something sounded familiar."

Malfoy pinched the bridge of his nose. "Just... I've read through this book before. Maybe I can find the familiar thing without having to reread the entirety of it."

"Erm." Harry said.

"Highly intelligent."

"Sod off."

"If you insist." Malfoy said, standing.

"Malfoy," Harry said. "Fine."

Malfoy sat back down, smirking. "So, details. As specific as you can get."

"Well, um... It's hard to use a wand." Harry said.

Draco raised a brow. That actually narrowed it down a fair bit. 

"Apparently most wizards and witches just feel magic in their hands or chest, but I feel it all over." Harry said.

That was interesting. Draco knew that was a sign of more powerful magic.

Harry looked at Draco awkwardly.

"Is that all?" Draco asked.

Harry bit his lip.

"Or is there something more?" Draco asked, leaning closer to Harry and smirking.

Harry tried to subtly lean away. "Erm."

"Oh, come on, I'll find out anyway."

"You have to swear that you won't tell anyone." Harry said.

Draco cocked a brow.

"I mean it." Harry said. "This is important."

"I swear I won't tell." Draco said.

Harry searched Draco's face, and looked deep into his eyes. "Alright."

"So?" Draco asked.

"Time travel." Harry said.

Draco went still. "Time travel?" He repeated.

"Yeah." Harry said.

"Elucidate." Draco said, voice low.

"Um. Well, I was at school, erm, studying for my job, and I was pretty sick for a couple days. Mione said I should've gone to Mungo's, and you agreed, actually. I went to bed that night in the dorm, and then I woke up at- er, my family's house." Harry said. "And I was really sick for several days, thought I was hallucinating. But then erm, well... I realized I wasn't. I was back in time."