10: Conversations

Harry went straight to the slytherin common room. Once there, he sat down and began to write out a letter to Sirius.

Snuffles, his quill scratched out.

So, I hope my friends haven't already sent out a letter. Things are happening the same as they did before... Except there's something new too. We got resorted into our houses, though the Ministry messed with the hat. It can't take our opinions into account. 

Those two are still in gryffindor. But I'm in slytherin. Harry felt awful writing the last sentence. It felt like a betrayal. I'm okay. None of the slytherins have tried to attack me yet. 

My hot headed friend and I had a row earlier today. They both think that I should go to Dumbledore, and that he'll fix everything. They don't understand that Dumbledore can't fight the Ministry. And, I hate to say it, but I think it might be better that I'm in slytherin.

With what I have to do... I couldn't keep it from them forever. They'd eventually cotton on. I don't want to risk them. Besides, if I'm surrounded by a horde of slytherins who don't care, I don't have to worry about it. It'll be easier to keep my friends safe.

I actually just got out of dada... I had some words with Umbridge. I don't think you can quite fathom how deeply I despise this woman... Maybe one day I can show you in a pensieve. I'm pretty certain that I have a week of detention with her.

Harry grimaced; while he knew he'd be alright, he still wouldn't enjoy the detention. Harry looked at the back of his left hand, absent of the phrase 'I must not tell lies'. It wouldn't be that way for much longer.

The hat did mention that something I am looking for is in the library here. Trick is, I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Precisely. And it's not a small library. Plus, the books get incredibly dusty.

Harry hoped Sirius picked up that he was meaning in the restricted section.

I hope you don't get too lonely. Tell you what- when this is through, we'll make it nice there. How great would that be? Like a huge middle finger to the folks who lived there before. 

For a moment, Harry wondered if Sirius even knew what the middle finger was. Then he remembered that he was talking about Sirius. Harry would eat every bad flavor of Bertie Bott's at once if Sirius didn't know it.

"Who're you writing to?" One of the slytherins asked him.

"Voldemort himself." Harry said, not bothering to look up.

The slytherin snorted, before walking off.

I know it might seem like being stuck in slytherin is a bad thing... But it's not the worst that could happen. I can take care of myself. I've got three years on these blokes.

I'm sending this one with Hedwig, but in the future, use a different owl if you have to send something.

-H

PS: Be nicer to Kreacher. If you do, he'll warm up to you. I know from experience. It's better to have him work with you than against you.

Then Harry took his letter and headed for the owlery. He ended up taking Hedwig from the owlery and went outside, spending time playing around with her. She was rather excited to get to stretch her wings out. 

Harry found himself laughing. He lost track of time. They somehow started a game of owl fetch. Then Hedwig found it amusing to dive at Harry, making a game of how long he'd last before he jumped out of the way. Harry was used to making quick movements like that on a broom, and several times he wasn't as fast as he thought he would be.