9: Umbridge

They started working with Bowtruckles in Care of Magical Creatures. Harry didn't remember all of it, but it was much easier. It was also confusing, because Harry knew that last time he'd had this class with the slytherins- when he had been in gryffindor. Harry thought that maybe the timetables had changed to adapt to the new house sizes.

It seemed like a pain to Harry, having to reorganize that all over again because some pink toad messed it up for you. Then the pink toad blamed it on you, because your system was 'faulty'. Harry knew the other professors had it just as bad as the students did when it regarded Umbridge.

"How do you reckon this Umbridge woman is going to be?" Zabini asked.

"With that cardigan," Malfoy said, "and that voice..."

"She's the worst." Harry said sharply.

"Oh?" Malfoy asked. "You know her so well already?"

"You'll see." Harry said, and walked into the classroom.

Umbridge was already seated at her desk, wearing the pink cardigan from the night before. The black velvet bow atop her head reminded Harry of a fly perched unwisely on a toad. The students were quiet as they walked in, having no idea how strict this new professor was.

Malfoy took the seat next to Harry, and Zabini on the other side of Malfoy. Parkinson and Nott were closer to Umbridge, while Crabbe and Goyle were farther back. Hermione and Ron sat next to Neville.

Harry pulled out his book, and left his wand in his pocket.

"Forgetting something?" Malfoy smirked at him.

"Forgetting what?" Harry asked.

"Your wand." 

"She'll just have us put them away. We won't be casting any spells in her class." Harry said quietly.

Malfoy's and Zabini's eyebrows rose. "What do you mean?" The latter of the two asked.

"You'll see." Harry said, fighting back the urge to hex the woman.

"'We'll see'." Malfoy mocked.

"Well, good afternoon!" Umbridge said when the whole class was seated.

A few people muttered 'good afternoon' in response. 

Umbridge tutted. "That won't do, now, will it? I should like you, please, to reply 'Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge'. One more time, please. Good afternoon, class!"

"Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge." They chanted back at her. Zabini only mouthed the words, while Malfoy looked unamused and Harry did his best to hide his murderous thoughts. Neither repeated the phrase.

"There now," Umbridge said sweetly. "That wasn't too difficult, now was it? Wands away and quills out, please."

Harry gave a mild 'told you so' look to his roommates. They frowned in return. The other students exchanged gloomy looks, the 'wands away' order was never followed by a lesson they found interesting. This would be no different.

Umbridge opened a hideous handbag, and drew out her rather short wand, and tapped the blackboard. Defense Against the Dark Arts: A Return to Basic Principles appeared written on it at once.

"Well now, your teaching in this subject has been rather disrupted and fragmented, hasn't it?" She said, turning to face the class with her hands clasped neatly in front of her. "The constant changing of teachers, many of whom do not seem to have followed any Ministry approved curriculum, has unfortunately resulted in your being far below the standard we would expect to see in your OWL year.