Where is my best friend?

Nik's POV: 

I sent an invitation to our families ball to Cassie. I also sent her a dress that I knew she would like along with some black boots since she had descriptively told me how she didn't like wearing heels and had long been going on about these boots she wanted. I knew she'd be excited, especially about the rest of my family. 

It had been an hour since I delivered the invitation to the gilbert house but had yet to see a message from Cassie which mildly concerned me. "Why do you keep looking at your phone Nik?" My brother Kol asked. "it is quite annoying" Rebekah added. I rolled my eyes. "It's none of your business, Kol." I responded. "Is it Cassie?" Rebekah asked, ah I'd forgotten they'd been friends. "Have you invited her to the ball?" She asked, when I didn't respond. "Yes, of course!" I explained. "Who is this Cassie?" Kol asked curiosity evident in his tone. "She's Niks best friend of course!" Rebekah explained to him. "Nik has a best friend? Now, this is something I simply must see!" I narrowed my gaze at my younger brother. "You will stay away from her, Kol." I threatened. "Woah, relax brother. I simply want to meet the damsel who has become your best friend. I'll look forward to it tonight." Getting tired of waiting for her response, I decided to message her myself. 

Nik: Hey Cass

Nik: Did you get my invitation?

Nik: Sorry if the dress was too much, I just wanted to treat my best friend. 

Nik: I look forward to seeing you this evening. 

Messages Undelivered

I tried multiple times but all my messages didn't seem to be going through, I figured there must be something wrong with the internet in mystic falls so I set my phone aside. I suppose I'd have to wait to talk to Cassie until tonight. I especially wanted to talk to her about Caroline, I think I fancy her and needed someone to talk about it with. I knew Cassie would be able to help me. 

~

I watched as person after person entered my mansion, all dressed for the celebration but nowhere could I see Cassie and still none of the messages were getting through to her. It soon neared the end of the ball and she still hadn't shown. I was worried. Suddenly, Stefan walked into my view. "Looking for someone?" He asked, a smirk on his face.

 "What. Did. You. Do?" I demanded. "Oh, it wasn't me. Cassandra is gone Klaus, Elena had Damon compel her away to stay with her brother and while she's there she'll have no memory of your friendship." I was furious, I snapped Stefans neck the second he finished talking. 

I had grown so accustomed to having Cassie there to talk to, to spend time with and now she was gone. I don't know how I am going to cope without my best friend by my side. 

~Days later~ 

"KOL YOU'RE GOING TO DENVER!"

"WHY?" 

"BECAUSE I SAID SO" 

"THEN NO." 

"I need you to keep an eye on my best friend."

"Oh???" 

"She's off-limits to you" 

"I wasn't thinking anything, relax" 

"So you'll go?" 

"Ugh, fine. Why can't you go instead? She's your best friend" 

"She's been compelled to forget about our friendship while she's away" 

"Just have a bloody witch get rid of it then" 

"I want to you to see if she is happy with her brother. If she is happy and safe I don't want to change anything, no matter how much it hurts me." 

"Well that's a bloody stupid decision"

"Just go, Kol."