Chapter : 63

"I never po-poisoned him, Teressa. I never...." He couldn't finish his words as blood spluttered out of his mouth again.

"Dev....no.... Arjun.. do something, please. Do something. Take him to a hospital.. Arjun..!" Teressa's cry could be heard from every part of the mountain. Seeing him like this was killing her from inside. Arjun started running towards him the very moment he saw him coughing blood.

"Give me your scarf." He shouted at Teressa, who hastily ran towards the car without even sparing any hateful glance at Ritwik.

Ritwik, who stood there like a wooden statue, kept looking between the bloody knife in his hand and the shaking figure of Teressa. The girl who couldn't even hate him anymore. The girl he never knew would mean so much to him, that he would stab his own brother without even thinking twice. Her extreme concern towards Dev was not allowing her to do anything else other than caring for Dev. For a second, just a second he wanted to be Dev, he wanted to be stabbed. If it meant getting this attention from her, he would have died a happy man. He kept looking at her as she continued crying holding Dev's body to her bosom. How she kept uttering sweet consoling words in his ears every now and then, how she kept rocking him like a child. How she couldn't realize anyone else's presence around her anymore. Her beautiful curls caressed Dev's chest, as her tears kept wetting his face.

"You lucky son of a b**ch!" Ritwik finally whispered to himself. His eyes slowly moved to Arjun who was on phone, having some urgent conversations, obviously regarding Dev's situation. Without sparing another second he ran to Dev's body, which was lying on Teressa's lap. He had a few more plans.

Placing the knife on the ground he grabbed Dev's body to pick him up, and at that very moment he got to see something he never expected. The flower like innocent hands were holding the knife pointing at his throat. Her eyes reddened with anger.

"If you dare to do anything to him anymore, either I kill you, or I kill myself. Stay. Away. From. Dev!" Teressa's voice echoed through the area. Her shaking hands couldn't harm him, he knew this much. But he also knew the second option was more dangerous than the first one.

"Let me pick him. Let me take him to the hospital. I am asking for this single chance. If I do anything wrong this time, you're free to do anything you wish for, Teressa. Just one chance. Please." Ritwik pleaded.

"Never! You.. you stabbed him. You, his own brother. You should be sent to prison this instant for the crime you committed. You still want a chance? A chance to fool me again? You ruined my life back then, you ruined it even today. Because I was the fool to trust you everytime. Yes, I trusted you always. But you deserve to rot in hell." Teressa sobbed.

Ritwik clenched his eyes as her bitter words penetrated his soul. He knew he deserved every single one of them. He still didn't know what possessed him to do such a gruesome act. But he did it and couldn't argue.

"If you really want a chance, then take us to my hospital as early as possible. To be honest we don't have much time left." Arjun uttered from behind Ritwik.

Teressa looked at Arjun with sheer disbelief.

"Have faith in me, Triss. I know he won't do anything like this ever in his life. Let's get going." Arjun added looking at Teressa.

¤¤¤¤¤

"How is Pihu doing now?" Arjun asked Manik standing infront of the window at the hospital.

"She has come back to her senses. Doing okay I guess." Manik responded.

"That's a relief." Arjun said.

"I can't believe this happened to Dev bhai, that too by none other than Rik bhai. What a curse!" Manik said looking outside as his eyes teared up.

"Possibly the curse has broken. Now the only thing concerns me is Dev's life. That guy suffered way too much." Arjun said inhaling from his cigarette.

"He would be safe, won't he?" Manik asked expectantly.

"Can't tell right now. I hope he stays, otherwise, can you see that girl sitting on that bench like a lifeless doll? She will die. And we have to witness that. I would prefer your brother's safety over anything else now. If it brings her peace. She has seen so many bad things happening by now, that if this last string she is holding onto so tightly, shatters, she shatters." Releasing a deep sigh Arjun turns his face to look outside again.

"If only I left her where she was, everything would have been different for her." Manik retorted glancing at her tired and lifeless figure.

"Wrong, Manik. Do you believe in ill fate? You were only a medium. This was destined to happen this way or that. Look at me, look at Ritwik, where did we come from? Why at the same time span? These were predestined. You can't blame yourself. Your brother has seen Triss before you took her to the mansion. Trust me. What would you say about that? Few things are too complicated for our minds. They should be left as they are." Arjun said patting Manik on his shoulder.

As Manik turned to the window again his cell phone vibrated and he knew who it could be.

"How is he Manik? Is he better now?" Pratima ji's worried voice asked from the other end. The very moment he heard Pratima ji's voice the damn broke. Tears streamed down Manik's cheeks as  he continued weeping.

"I.. I don't know Pratima ji, he is still unconscious. He has lost so much blood. He didn't even recover well from the previous injuries and this happened. I can never forgive myself if anything happens to him."  Manik kept on saying, barely controlling his emotions.

"Everything will be fine beta. Be strong. Be calm.  Where is Teressa? Can you give the phone to her for once?" Pratima ji asked.

"She is not stable Pratima ji, she is waiting, more than anyone else, for him to recover. It's not the right time to talk to her. All I can say is that she is immensely traumatized." Manik responded.

¤¤¤¤¤

"He is better now. But his full recovery will take time."  The Doctor said to Arjun.

"Understandable. Did he get back his consciousness?" Arjun asked.

"Yes, that he got back. If you want to see him you can. Is Teressa here?" The doctor asked. To which Arjun chuckled.

"There she is. Is he looking for her already?" Arjun asked.

"During the whole surgery, actually." The doctor responded smilingly.

Arjun slowly walked towards Teressa and placed his hand on her head.

"He is looking for you. Go and see him." Arjun said gesturing towards the cabin. Her eyes sparkled up with an inexplicable emotion. Her whole body started shaking out of nervousness as she attempted to stand up.

"Hey, everything will be fine sis. Be confident." Arjun assured. She nodded in answer and started moving towards the cabin.

Her hand slowly pushed on the door to the entrance as she stepped into the cabin. Her legs strolled towards the lying figure of Dev on the bed. The very moment she neared the bed, his eyes opened and a drop of tear slipped out of  it.

"Am I.. forgiven?" His strained voice asked.

Holding his hand in both of hers Teressa fell to her knees.  She could only sob placing her forehead on his hand. Her relentless sobbing was enough to answer his question.

"I am sorry.. I am so sorry for everything I did to you." She mumbled.

"Don't sweetheart. Trust me, you did nothing. Stand up and raise your head. L-let me see you properly. Let me see those eyes. Please. It feels like ages I've looked into them." He pleaded.

She slowly raised her head and stood up. But she failed to look into his eyes. The guilt inside her was eating her already.

"What's wrong? Look at me Teressa." Dev said. But she didn't budge.

"I asked you to look at me Teressa." He said impatiently. As she looked into his eyes gulping down the guilt temporarily, Dev saw what he needed to see and that frightened him.

-------------------
Dear readers,
If you like my story, feel free to  support it by Voting, Commenting, Sharing and Following.

Love, Puja.