Chapter 15

*Aunt’s place*

Triss:

Bruno was finally feeling happy today. The poor kid was stuck in a room without me for a whole day. After his running session today he seems to be back to his naughty self. His tail took a unique swinging pace and he was jumping on me every now and then. I sunk to my knees and started tickling him and in a playful gesture he started licking my face with his over lubricated tongue.

Suddenly my eyes fell on the black SUV. “Isn’t it Manik’s car?” I knew his car pretty well and that confidence made me shout out his name. I lifted Bruno in my arms and shouted, “Manik….” The car just took a smooth right turn in front of me. I shouted again, “Manik.. stop there otherwise you are a dead man!” Because now I was completely sure it was Manik’s car and obviously he was close enough to hear me calling out for him. But to my surprise the car just moved on and soon it was no more visible. “What the fish..!” I ran inside and put Bruno down. Then I immediately ran upstairs to my aunt’s room.

“What!?” I was sitting on my aunt’s bed and listening to a very horrifying story. At least as it seemed to me. “Davik Raj Nagpati? Why would he ask for something like that? It makes no sense at all.” I was feeling lost as aunt told me that he wanted a partnership with us. We all knew the bakery was nothing big, just an usual comfy shop with beautiful baking smells. He should have no interest in it at all. Then what was this all about? I couldn’t help myself as I asked aunt, “you sure aunt you didn’t misunderstand? Because he is a tycoon already.” Aunt looked at me smilingly, she was seeming to be relaxed as she said, “I know him from my initial days here. The car used to come and drop Manik here at the beginning. He himself never got out of it but I saw him many a times. His face says that he is a determined person and also hard working. So it can be Manik’s recommendation or something else but I think this can be a ‘once in lifetime’ opportunity. He might have foreseen something good in it.” She winked while smirking and I couldn’t help but felt good to see her happy. She always wanted to do something better with this bakery, who knew this might be a chance.

I was deep in my thought when she held my hand and looked at me affectionately. “Teressa, if I ask you to keep his cold exterior aside, how do you find him as a human being?” Now this was weird. Why was she asking a question like this? My cheeks heated up and I knew it was getting red. “W-why are you asking something like this aunt?” I could not really look at her eyes as she said, “nothing special, just wanted to know your opinion about the person who probably is going to  be in a partnership with me very soon.” This was helpful though, my thoughts were taking a little too weird a turn. “Oh, that..” I said as she raised her eyebrows in surprise  and said, “obviously, did you think about something else though?” She was smiling. “N-no, no.. what else? Yes, ummm, I think if we keep his hot headed attitude aside, the man is not all that bad. He is helpful, caring and a little protective I guess but in a good way.” I just said too much and aunt’s expression was hard to take in. “Woh! This was more than I had expected darling.” Oh god! I just embarrassed myself hard! She was still smiling at me and staring at my expression. “Fine then, I have some good and a bad news for you.” Now that made me curious I looked at her expression and said, “the bad news first please?” She rubbed her hand on my head and said, “I know. So the bad news is that it’s already middle of the session and you have to wait for the new session to start to continue your education.” That hurt. I so expected to start it this year. I sighed and said “it’s fine.” “But the good news might help you cope with it a little.” She said smilingly, but I still couldn’t think of anything that could possibly help me, although I didn’t say that. “So, you are asked to visit the Nagpati Mansion day after tomorrow, Mr. Nagpati was talking about some sort of a pre-school and all, and that he needs a good teacher.. but you don’t seem interested, do you?” She asked me with her eyebrows raised. Intrested?? I was spellbound, I couldn’t believe my own ears. Am I hearing correct? Did they really allow me to go for an interview for the pre-school? My eyes widened and without thinking twice it blew out of my mouth, “I am totally interested!” And then it happened. She started laughing and was unable to stop herself from making me feel even more embarrassed.

“Hey kiddo.. all good? How are you doing?” Obviously I couldn’t control my excitement and called the one and only person who I knew would get equally excited. “To be honest I am more than fine.” I was swinging my legs and smiling continuously and I knew he could picture me now. “Wow! Someone seems really happy, what made you swing your legs like this?” Manik Raj Nagpati, my best friend, who got to understand me even when I was totally unable express myself, even when he can’t see me. “ I have an interview tomorrow for a pre-school, do you want to know the name?” He was silent for a second and when he opened his mouth he was shouting the hell out of me as I continued smiling, “ what?” He was ecstatic as he said, “ I can’t believe this kiddo, you are finally trying to move on. I can’t  believe this. What school is this?” “ Mountain Rainbow.. and do yo..” But he didn’t even allow me to finish my lines as he said, “ Oh my God! How is this even possible? I didn’t even know that there were vacancies. Who informed you about this? Has to be Pratima ji.” Even I didn’t know how to tell him that it was none other than his brother ‘The Devil Nagpati’ himself! However I gave it a try. “ You know it’s not Pratima ji but your bro….” My sentence was cut off abruptly as he said, “ hey kiddo, I’m getting an important call. I will get back to you and am so sorry. Please don’t get mad okay I am going to listen to everything. Okay?” Yes, it did upset me a little but when he said ‘important’ then it had to be. “Fine, call me back when you are free, busy bee.” And he just disconnected the call on my face. “How dare you! You are so dead Manik,” I said to myself as I dragged the blanket to cover myself thinking about what I should wear the day after tomorrow and smiling on my own.