Part 19: Cream

Nightmare's POV:

          I looked at him there moving without any movement. Had he died?! Sure he did all that bad stuff, but he was still my brother. I rush over, and pick him up. I hold his chest next to my ear, and listen for a pulse. I hear a "bump" sound, which indicated that was his soulbeat. Oh thank negativity. I lay him back onto the floor, and kneel beside him. "You guys go look for any sort of clue. I'll stay here with him." I said, turning my head to look at them. They all spread out. Some going upstairs, some wandering downstairs. But one person remained. Cross. "Do you need something, or are you just ignoring my orders..?" Cross walked forwards until he was beside me. "I'm just curious. Who is that?" Cross says bending over to get a better look at my brother. "Ah. Right. You never met Dream, did you?" I say patting the area next to me, signaling he's allowed to sit down. Cross sat down while talking. "No. No I haven't." I sigh and look back towards Dream. "This is my brother, but.. He's been pretty harmful lately. I wonder what caused it.." I look back towards Cross, and he looks like he's in disbelief. "You alright there Cross?" I ask, tilting my head. "How is HE your BROTHER?! You look nothing alike!!" It's true. Me and Dream look nothing similar. I turn back towards Dream. I want to figure out what happened. I pick him back up, resting his head on my lap. (This is not Dreammare!) I look for anything that could've caused his loss of consciousness, and I don't really find anything. That is, until Cross starts speaking.

       "Why is there bruising around his neck?" He says while pointing at what he was talking about. He's right! Someone must've choked him until he fell unconscious! "I wonder who did that." I look back over to Cross. "Do you have... A hint of blush.. AT MY BROTHER?!" My brother's appearance has caught the attention of other guys before, but I don't want any of them near my brother. "H-Huh? N-No! No I wasn't!" He says while looking away for a second. I would've beaten his ass right there and then, but some coughing caught my attention. It was coming from Dream. I quickly stand up and run upstairs. I didn't want my brother to know I was taking care of him.

Cross's POV:

       Nightmare runs upstairs, so I take his position. I sit how he was, and I rest his head on my lap. Eventually Dream's eyes flutter open, in utter confusion. Woah! His eyes are a really pretty gold colour! He sits up and stares at me, and not in a nice way.. "W-Who the heck are you?! A-And why was I laying on you?!" He asks while stomping his foot. "W-Woah, woah! I'm a friend of your brother!" He doesn't seem to be so upset anymore. Instead, he just stands there. "I still don't get it. Why do you guys even work for Nightmare anyways?" I was taken aback by this question. Aren't they brothers? Wouldn't Nightmare have told him? Whatever, I'll just deal with it. "U-Uh.. Well.. Nightmare found me in a white void, and then he took me to his house, then he gave me food and warmth, a-and then he asked if I wanted to join him, and then I thought 'well he took care of me, so I should say sure!', and then yeah.." I was talking a little bit faster, so I didn't notice all the "and's" in that sentence. "You really need to work on proper sentences." He says putting his hand on his hip. "But that's new. I really didn't think brother would do that." I lean over to the stairs to see if Nightmare was there. Still nope. "Have you been taking care of Brother?" He looked worried. "U-Uh.. Y-Yeah! But I have a question..." He looks me in the eyes, waiting for the coming question. "Nightmare said you've been hurtful lately.. Why?" He takes a step back and clasps his hands onto his head. It was like he was having a mental break down! He started walking backwards, still having his hands over his head, but now he closed his eyes. "W-Woah there! C-Calm down!" I reached out my arm to try and grab his shoulder, but he still wasn't close enough for me to do that. 

         Golden tears ran down his face, and he eventually backs into a wall. He slides his back down the wall, and sits down, rocking himself back and forth. I walk towards him, and I grab both his shoulders. "H-Hey! Listen to me-!" That's all I managed to say before he cut me off. He pulled me into a hug, which now I feel his heavy tears of gold on my shoulder. "I-I'm s-s-sorry..!" He managed to say through sobs and stammers. I switch positions with him so I lean against the wall. It's probably more comfortable for him, and right now, it seems like he needs comfort. He's still crying, so I close my eyes waiting for him to stop. What makes me calm down, is when someone rubs my back while I cry. So.. maybe It'll work for him? I rub his back while my head is leant against the wall still. I open one eye to see if he has any expression of discomfort, and surprisingly, he doesn't. It's weird that he trusts me so much. I'm a complete stranger to him. Dust is one of the people who checked downstairs, and he came out of the kitchen to see me and Dream, basically cuddling. He gets this smug face on, then points at me, makes a heart with his fingers, then points at Dream before running away. Man, I was so tempted to stand up and beat him to a bloody pulp, but I also wanted to comfort Dream. I look down at the yellow skeleton, and it appears he's finally calmed down, so I stop with the back rubs.

  He finally starts to talk, and he gives me reason. "I-I couldn't handle it.." He said before tearing up again. "I couldn't cope with the fact he left.. So I took it out on them..." He says before crying again. Welp.. More back rubs! I feel a wave of tiredness wash over me, and before I fall asleep I look at the precious skeleton in my grasp. He seemed to feel the wave too. Without thinking, I kiss his forehead before leaning my head against the wall again. It's strange.. Just being in the warmth of him, it feels like I've known him forever. Then finally, I let myself fall into a deep, slumber.

(1146 words)