My Fishy Boyfriend 4

Melodi didn't have any memories of her mother. She felt guilty about it too. Melodi wanted them. She knew that if she could just remember something, anything maybe she could find her. Melodi was almost certain she didn't leave her because she wanted to. Something told her she had to leave.

After what seemed like forever, Melodi breached and wiped ocean water off of her face with a wet hand. She breathed loudly, filling and emptying her lungs with air. Melodi twirled in the water, searching for Clae. The water surrounded her like a gentle hug as she moved. The blue cool surface struck her as beautiful, unexpected laughter bubbled from her throat.

Clae looked up and saw Melodi treading water, he smiled and flicked his tail, propelling him up towards the surface alongside of Melodi.

She smiled at him "Hey."

"Wanna see something cool?" He lifted one eyebrow.

"Sure," Melodi chuckled.

Clae sank down under water and turned towards the sandy bottom. Fish swam by pleasantly, they picked up speed as Clae swam closer to the bottom. He gazed up to see Melodi still at the top but with her head ducked under water, watching carefully. Clae positioned himself, by curling his tail underneath him like a spring. A sand cloud filled the water around him as he counted down. 3... 2...1...

Melodi observed Clae prudently as he readied himself. Then, with a snap of his tail he started toward the surface gaining speed, he vigorously whipped his tail through the water. Melodi followed him with her eyes as he burst through the top layer of water. Melodi watched him in awe as he floated 15 feet in the air and twisted, landing backwards in the water with his arms extended. He made a loop and leveled out swimming over to Melodi again.

"Wow that was amazing!" She exclaimed.

Clae nodded and replied, "I know I am."

Melodi caught a wink and reached out, chopping water at him.

"Bad choice." Clae suspended the water and grinned. "Never pick a water fight with a mermaid."

Melodi laughed and pushed him away, but he caught her arm mid-push.

"C'mon I think its time to get out."

Melodi nodded and let Clae lead her towards the cave again, hand in hand.

~~~

After Clae and Melodi dried off, she decided to ask Clae about something that had been gnawing at her.

"Clae, do you know anything about my mother?"

Clae took a sideways glance at her and put down his backpack. He'd been packing what was in the cave, including one of fold able cots, now fully tucked away in his backpack.

"Please tell me," Melodi pleaded knowing Clae did understand what she was asking.

"If I tell you, then I'll need to explain a couple other things that I'm not quite prepared to tell you."

"You don't want to..." Melodi concluded, her face falling.

Clae jumped on the statement, "No of course not, I do."

"Then tell me." Her voice faltering. Melodi knew she shouldn't push Clae but she ached. Physically and mentally, she just wanted answers.

Clae sighed while picked up his bag, "Can I explain it over some food?"

Melodi nodded, looking down. "Oh hey, could we stop by my house? I need to get a few things."

Clae tensed and looked at her like she was crazy, Melodi added quickly, smiling, "My father is at work so don't worry."

Clae acquiesced and added, "Well we better get going. We can stop by after."

Melodi turned around and picked up her shirt that lay on the cot. She still felt drenched, so she muttered, "Clae turn around and don't peek."

"Hmm? Oh, yeah." He rested his arm along the dark cave.

He quickly turned towards the mouth of the cave and Melodi smiled. She slowly peeled off her wet tank top and grabbed her shirt to replace it. The cool fabric stuck to her skin as she dropped the wet tank top on the cot. She gathered her damp hair and twisted, water droplets fell to the floor. Melodi ran her fingers through the knots and then shook her head.

"Okay," she acknowledged Clae.

He looked back at Melodi and smiled. Melodi sat on the cot, it creaked as her weight distributed. She picked at the webbing on the cot with her fingernail. Her blond hair sailed down to cover her face and pushed the strand behind her ear, out of habit.

Clae looked down at the rocky cave floor knowing Melodi was still thinking about her mother. He started walking towards the opening of the cave and quickly put up his hand to block the blinding sun. He noticed a few bunches of people scattered along the beach and boardwalk. Clae walked out of the cave a little, the hot sand felt comforting against his skin.

"Melodi," Clae called "I'm hungry, let's get some food."

"Calm down," Melodi echoed from the cave "We'll get your food."

Once they got to the boardwalk Clae noticed Melodi throw down her flip flops and shove each foot into them. He did the same, with less force.

"Want to go to Nick's Diner?" Clae suggested.

Melodi's stomach grumbled in response.

"Alright, let's go."

Once they entered the tiny diner, they were greeted by a familiar 'ching' of the bell hitting the glass door.

Melodi sauntered to the booth. She felt betrayed, and sat helplessly in the booth. She had ordered a orange juice and started twirling the straw. The pulp swirled endlessly until the waitress came over.

"Do you want me to make a suggestion?" She drawled.

Melodi tore her gaze from the juice and looked at her menu. She soon realised the question wasn't pointed towards herself but at Clae.

"Oh, uh sure," Clae responded.

Melodi noticed her reach over to the menu and point to something on his menu. Her chest was placed skillfully in front of Clae's vision. Anger burned through her, Clae looked over the top of the menu and smirked.

"Yeah," he mutilated the word flirtatiously, "That sounds great."

The waitress smiled brightly. She turned her dark bored eyes to Melodi, the waitress' dyed black hair flopped around in a high pony-tail.

"And for you?" she asked bitterly.

Melodi narrowed her eyes and looked gravely up at her an her tapping pen.

"I'll just have eggs and bacon," Melodi responded dryly.

The waitress nodded sarcastically "Maybe I should recommend a salad?"

Shock absorbed Melodi's face, her mouth hung open loosely. Once she realized she looked baffled, she quickly shut her mouth and averted her glare back to the cream colored table.

The waitress made a noise and stalked off triumphantly, knowing she had gotten under Melodi's skin.

"Melodi," Clae called.

But Melodi refused to look at him, she sat slouched in the booth, childishly.

"Melod," he stated sternly, "why are you so worked up?" 

Hot fractious anger and jealousy stirred towards the surface. Melodi snapped her head up.

"What?"

"All I'm asking is why your... jealous," he paused and smirked cockily.

Melodi stuttered, "I don't- I'm not jealous."

"Alright," he surrendered.

Melodi looked to her left out the window. Segulls honked and swooped about the docks. A flock sat tiredly on the roots white and black covered each roof.

After they had recieved their breakfast by the flirtaious waitress. Melodi believed it was time for some answers.