Chapter 24

NAOMI'S POV: 

Mr. Davis had a few things to do for the Academy yesterday but instead of doing them in his office, he did everything in his bedroom. For two hours he did everything on his bed. Clearly there is something in there that isn't meant to be seen.

I got lucky last night; I managed to find my way out of what would have been a very dark encounter with Mr. Davis. I can't make the same mistake tonight, My adrenaline has been pumping all day, I was eager to get into that mysterious office and find my file once and for all especially now that I know where the key is kept. He unintentionally revealed its location this morning during breakfast when he placed his car-keys alongside it. All the keys to the house were kept on a rack hidden behind the hallway divider. All I had to do now was remember that it was placed on the third-to-last hook to the right.

"Alright, Chapter 5; Antonio's trip to El Puerto with his family." Mr. Davis swiped his copy from the counter and motioned to the living room. 

"It was a short chapter." I twirled my copy in my hands as I tried to get comfortable on the loveseat adjacent to his leather recliner. 

I had too mentally prepare myself for today's discussion. Chapter 5 was very relatable in terms of Antonio's extremely short trip; it outlined his inclination to find answers about himself and his family's history. He claimed that finding these answers would be the only way for him to finally decide what his destiny is in life, the feeling was mutual. 

I wanted to share my thoughts and feelings with Mr. Davis, as he is normally the one who gives the best advice, but I need to make sure I do not accidentally incriminate myself. Do you think he'd let me plead the fifth? 

"Yes, it was a short chapter but I think it was necessary for the author to express the smallness of his world. The book claims it is the only trip he takes, being that it is only ten miles."

I nodded, "Yeah, I can relate." 

Placing his elbows on his knees, he leaned forward and rendered a concerned look. "Are you saying that that you believe that will become your life at the Academy?" 

"I'm sorry," I instantly replied. "I just mean that it's starting to feel like home and that's bothering me." 

"I understand that it can be troubling and even emotionally confusing...but I do not think that escaping the Academy entirely is possible until you are of an age where I can leave you at home for long periods of time." 

"It's not about escaping it entirely." I wouldn't want to be rid of the Academy, I would miss Jasper too much. He's the only friend I really have left. "I just miss some of the places and people from home. I miss the things I used to do during summer and winter break."

"What did you use to do for fun?"

I shrugged, "We used to go camping in the summer, we would always take a trip to New York City for Christmas. Those were my favorite. I used to hike with my dad and go to the rollerblade rink on Saturday's." 

Nodding, he sat straight and contemplated in our silence. "Look Naomi, I don't want to intrude on your previous life and try to model it to the extent that it becomes emotionally uncomfortable...and the last thing I would want is to make you feel like I am trying to take your parents' place, but if there is anything that you would still like to do or even something new you'd like to try then I am all ears." 

"R-really?" 

"Of course." He gave me his charming smile. "I want you to continue pursuing the things you had interest in before the Academy; whether that be school extracurriculars, sports, trips, any goals that you still have interest in, please continue to do that. If you enjoy hiking or camping then I would be happy to do that with you, or if there is something new that you'd like to try then I would like you to share that with me." He spread his arms out against the back of his recliner.