Chapter 41

NAOMI'S POV:

"Mr. Davis please." I pleaded with him over the phone.

I heard him sigh, "Where does she live?"

"What's your address?" I whispered.

"626 Gardner Road." Haylee shuffled the books in her hand and tapped her foot impatiently.

"That's right down the road." Mr. Davis said to him, clearly overhearing Haylee and probably the other thirty students crowded in the hallway. "Do her parents know?"

"Yes sir." I answered in earnest. "I can walk home afterwards since it's down the road and I'll be home by dinner."

"What about your homework?"

"All I have to do tonight is work on my article for Journalism and Mrs. Saines put Haylee and I together for that."

Things have been going slightly better with school; I've been focusing more on Geometry and actually did much better on our last test. Hopefully I can still mange to get an A in the class, that would be a nice surprise to bring back to Mr. Davis.

"Please Mr. Davis, please."

I could hear him contemplating; the fidgeting in his chair and tapping of his fingers.

"Alright, go ahead. I want you home by 6 o'clock."

"Thank you!"

"You're welcome. Have fun, Naomi. You deserve it."

Hearing that made me grin from ear to ear; I really needed to hear that. But, in the moment, I was so excited that I immediately hung up and followed Haylee outside before the bus left.

____________________________________________

"Wow, your house is really nice." I commented toward the beautiful blooming flowers that surrounded her white porch.

The base of her house was a sage green with white windows and a wrap-around porch. The patio furniture consisted of a light wick that was protected by navy blue pillows. Despite the difference in colors, it somehow reminded me of my old home . . . and all the summers I spent gardening with my mom.

"Thank you!" She opened the door, letting herself inside and stepping to the right for me to enter. "My mom loves gardening, her and I plant new seedlings every year."

Yeah . . . we used to do that also.

Stepping inside, we both took off our shoes and left them neatly tucked next to the door. The inside was less attractive than the outside, it was still a decent looking house but the inside was definitely more outdated than the exterior. There was a staircase immediately to the right and the left was the living room with white walls, brick shelves and a dark green carpet that swallowed the brightness of the room.

"Here, come meet my mom." She lead me into the kitchen where her mom was standing by the stove, stirring something that smelled delicious.

"Mom," She went to the fridge and offered me a water bottle, "this is my friend Naomi. We met in Journalism."

Her mom responded with a bright smile, wiping her hands on her apron before addressing me: "Hi Naomi, sorry about the mess."

What was she talking about? This place is spotless. Sure there were a few bowls on the counter, but they clearly were in use.

"There's hardly a mess. It's nice to meet you ma'am." I said clearly.

"Oh, no ma'am in this house," She laughed, setting her hand gently on my shoulder. "I refuse to age. You can call me Kristy."