Chapter 28

~ 2.5 weeks later ~

NAOMI'S POV:

School started almost three weeks ago, and I've been adjusting quite well, especially since there were a lot of familiar faces in my classes. Katie, my closest friend, was in four out of my six classes, and we had the same lunch period, it was great to catch up with her but she's still processing everything that's happened to me. She snagged me in the hallway right before first period and began hammering me with annoying questions about that day at the campground on the Fourth of July. I forgot I never filled her in on why I needed her to scope the place out, and she was utterly shocked at my explanation.

Most of the other students, a majority being my friends, ask an awful lot of questions about life at a disciplinary academy, as if they were expecting me to behave like a programmed robot. I've become the talk of the school. Everyone is so fascinated with the change that it distracts them from realizing how painful of a situation it is. I don't feel comfortable talking about it with anyone, not even Katie.

Don't get me wrong, there are some that offer their condolences and apologize, which is nice, but then they immediately badger me with the same boring questions. Do you really not know where your parents are? Your headmaster is your guardian now? Is he cute? Are there a lot of rules? How many students do you live with? Do you really sleep on the same floor with boys? You don't have any other relatives to stay with?

At the end of almost every day, I'm ready to rip my hair out. Sometimes I just want to shout at them, tell them to leave me alone and that nothing I do or anything about me is any of their business.

Good news really travels fast I guess. I'll admit I first thought the rumors began with Katie, but then I heard a few students mentioning the police at my house. Word of that event, combined with the lack of maintenance to my house must of caused widespread rumors in the neighborhood. But this inadvertently spread to their kids. Isn't that strange? Children: we 'never pay attention to anything' and yet we know all the gossip.

We love drama, it's so dramatic. Wouldn't you say the same? 

Anyhow, most of my classes are going well. I know I shouldn't jinx it since it's still early, but I can tell there are going to be some real winners. World Cultures and English are by far my favorite core subjects, and Journalism narrowly beats Mock Trail. I was even given my first article assignment this week. Biology is mostly slow, Mr. Snyder mostly lectures about plants, which we've been scheduled to learn about for almost the entire school year. I thought Biology would encompass a little more than that.

"How was school today?" Mr. Davis asked, opening the door to let me inside.

I decided to spend the first week of school at the Academy but, with Mr. Davis' recommendation, I agreed to take him up on his offer of staying at his house for the second and third week. He deemed it necessary in emphasizing that this was now our home, so I think it would be a good idea to show him that I'm willing to at least try to make this my home.

"Good, really good actually," I somewhat lied, I didn't want to mention that kids were still hounding me over my new lifestyle. "I got my first article assignment for Journalism and we're starting a new case in Mock Trial."

"That's great, what's the case and the article about?" He hung his coat up and removed his shoes before walking to the couch to make himself comfortable.

"Well, the case is contributory negligence, concerning a member from a hunting and firearms club where he was employed. The article will be able the school's homecoming football game."

"Oh perfect, the stadium isn't too far from here, but I'll drive you there since it'll be a night game. Just let me know when it is."

I nodded, awkwardly debating on whether to stay or turn to go to my room.