Chapter 37

MR. DAVIS' POV:

I opened the door, allowing it to close naturally behind me as I tucked the carpet beater into the corner before approaching the center of the room. Surprisingly, Ryan managed to remain perfectly as he was placed for the duration of his corner time. There was some movement as he wiped his tears on his shoulders and even hiccuped a few times, but he mostly stood still.

"Are you ready to talk to me?"

He flinched at the sound of my voice, trying to wake himself from the dizzy state of his mind and pull himself back into reality.

"Yes sir." He answered quietly.

"Take a seat then."

Moving quickly, he stretched his arms over his head and made his way to the table where he grabbed the back of his former seat. Glancing down at it, he was bracing himself for the intense sting that was about to come from sitting, torn between relieving the soreness in his knees after standing for nearly forty minutes and using energy to convince me to allow him to remain standing.

He opened his mouth, but closed it when I first looked at him.

"What?"

"Are you going to sit?"

I leaned forward with my hands flat on the table. "No, I'll be standing...but you should sit."

He nodded, not satisfied with my answer but not really to argue with me.

"Let's start with where the contraband is being used the most. Obviously smoke bombs are not something you can lite inside, so I assume they're being used predominately during recess."

"Everyone lites them off near the third fire pit outside." Squeezing into the chair, he took a deep breath which caused a strain in his voice. "The one by the track because...."

"Because it's out of range from the cameras." I nodded.

We haven't noticed a shift in the number of students exploiting outdoors time, not that we would be surprised by it...it's a great way to escape these walls for a few hours.

"And how are they smuggled inside?"

He turned his head. "T-there not. I found them..."

"Don't lie to me Ryan, things will get very messy in here."

________________________________________________

JASPER'S POV:

"Have you ever been sent to Room 113?" Naomi asked hesitantly, not wanting to evade on my long experience here.

"No, I haven't." I leaned my elbow on the edge of the beanbag chair and rested my head on my hand. "I try to keep my head down as much as possible. Are you thinking about Ryan?"

Nodding, she kept her focus on the board. "Yeah, I know he's a jerk, honestly the truest bully I've ever seen come to the Academy...I've just heard some awful things about it and I was the one who turned him in."

"You? I thought Jess did." I lowered my voice, glancing around at some wondering students in the common room.

She shook her head, "No, she just told him that as a cover for me. I, I hesitated on telling you because I didn't want you to think I was a snitch. Mr. Davis called me into his office and he just got it out of me...."

"Woah, woah," I reached forward and grabbed her hand. "calm down. I don't think any less of you for doing so. The Administrators have a way of getting things out of everyone, not just you."

She looked to me, her glowing eyes widening as her nerves were subdued by my reassurance.

"Thanks." She whispered.