e p i l o g u e

-ellen
(twenty years later)

That's my story, or rather, was my story. It was wild, crazy, stupid, daring, risky, adventurous, but most of all, it was fun. And it made me happy. 

In the end, things turned out quite differently than I expected them to. A few months after moving in and getting settled, Logan and I broke up for good. I felt that the relationship was too confusing, and I was putting more into it than him. 

Logan was the first one to leave the house. He went to college at Yale University and became a nuclear physicist, whatever the heck that is. When he was in his third year at Yale, he met a pretty blonde girl named Sophie and they hit it off right away. Logan and Sophie got married when they were about thirty, and all of us were invited to the wedding. He and I keep in touch and are still good friends. 

Evelyn left next. She was always a vagabond at heart, so she got bored eventually and ended up in Iowa somewhere. The last anyone had heard, she was a waitress at a diner. I haven't talked to Evelyn in a long time, but I think about her often. I hope she's doing alright. 

Finally, Noah and Morgan got married. Their wedding was simple and understated, with just a few friends and immediate family invited. When they were twenty-six, they had their first child, a boy named Jacob. God, the kid's such a brat, but I love him anyway. 

Five years later, they had Nadia, who got Morgan's hair and Noah's personality. I became godmother to both of them. 

Morgan and Noah still live in Maine, about two hours away from Monday. Morgan works from home as a medical transcriptionist, where she listens to and types up dictations from doctors. She hates her job, but does it anyway because it pays well and she can take care of the kids. 

Noah owns his own bar, which doesn't surprise me a bit. I pop down there every now and then, and he'll clap me on the back and give me a free taco. 

Noah is still my best friend, and I love him to death. It's almost insane to look back and see how far we've come. He'll come over sometimes and we'll look at Evelyn' s photo wall, which she never took down, and just reminisce on everything.

"Remember the time we went skinny dipping?"
"Remember when we egged a car?"
"Oh my God, remember KATE?"

As for me, well, I still live in the same old house. I got it fixed up with Noah's help. 

I never did find anyone to settle down with, but hey, I'm only thirty-eight. It's not like hope is lost. Noah's always bugging me to find someone, and sometimes his blind dates for me go disastrously wrong. For right now, though, I think I'm okay on my own.

Oh, and I finally got around to writing that book.