r e v e n g e

-noah-

I started the morning off with a smile plastered on my face. Ellen was happy, Evelyn was happy, Logan was happy, so of course I was happy as well. The mood was contagious, and I noticed it in everyone- Logan humming a tune as he prepared toast for us, Ellen dishing out compliments to everyone she saw, and Evelyn dancing around the RV to some song that was stuck in her head. Things almost seemed too good to be true.
And they were.

It was about noon, actually a pretty snowy day. We were in Indiana, fresh out of a performing arts center that I'd taken Ellen to, much to her delight (and our apathy). We saw some musical, I can't even remember it.

And then it all went downhill.

"Guys," Ellen said in a grim tone. I knew right away that something was wrong, and my thoughts immediately went to Kate.

"It's her, isn't it?" I moaned in despair. "She sent you another text."

"Who?" Evelyn interjected. She was so sweet and innocent- I gave her a hug then and there.

"Oh, Ev," I said into her shoulder. "I'm so sorry. You're about to have your first encounter with-"

"The soulless butt-cheek of Satan," Logan piped in. I squinted at him curiously, but didn't disagree. He shrugged and leaned back into the couch. "What does the text say?"

Ellen shook her head, a troubled look on her face. She pulled the sleeves of her grey sweater over her hands, making sweater-paws, and glanced out the window. "She didn't text me, you guys. She's right there."

I frantically leapt up and raced over to the window. Sure enough, Kate was there, looking prim and put-together. She was about 10 yards from the RV, typing something on her phone. I took in her outfit- she was wearing black leggings, a white jacket, and a scarf was looped around her neck. She looked surprisingly composed for someone who was a hysterical psycho stalker.

"Shit, shit, shitcakes," I mumbled, pulling Evelyn out of the chair she was sitting in. "Evie, you're going to go hide in the back bedroom, Ellen, you too. You know what? I might as well join you guys. Logan, you got this."

Ellen stood up and sighed. "Noah, calm down. Kate's a bitch and she's a little creepy, but nothing we need to hide from. I think we should just go out there and see what she wants."

"Yeah," Evelyn agreed immediately. "I want to see what all the fuss is about."

"No way. No frickin' way," I replied. "Evelyn, there is no way in hell I will let you meet Kate. Not a chance."

Evelyn laughed and linked arms with Ellen. "Never send a man to do a woman's job."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Logan asked. He was wearing a black and grey striped shirt that was borderline nerdy. It looked like something I would wear when I was six, but he actually managed to pull it off.

"Look, here's what's going to happen," Ellen said exasperatedly. "We'll all go out there and face Kate together. Right now. Here we go."

"What?" I shrieked. "No, please, she's so-"
They were already out the door.

I sighed and braced myself, then headed out the door to face the biggest freight train of a human that there was.

"Oh, Noah," Kate said immediately. "Fancy seeing you here."

I rolled my eyes. "Well, I'm not sure how to respond to that, so I'll just cut right to the chase- what do you want?"

Kate trained her big brown eyes on me and smiled. "All I want is you."