e g g i n g

-ellen-

"So what have you been up to?" Noah asked a bit nervously. "You know, since we sort of... lost touch?" 

I smiled. Kate had left a few hours ago, and I could feel myself getting happier and brighter. Logan appreciated it too- he wasn't fond of Kate, whether he showed it or not. 

I twisted around from my spot in the passenger seat- which I didn't have to fight for anymore- and saw Logan reading a book. I think it was the third Harry Potter, he was re-reading the series for something like the eleventh time. 

"Well," I said, turning back to face Noah. "I've been writing a lot. Like, a lot.

Noah raised his eyebrows. "You mean, more than usual?" 

I nodded. "Yeah. I've been working on a couple novels, actually." 

"Oh," he responded. "Care to share?"

I glanced at the open notebook on my lap. Lately I had been carrying it around with me everywhere, and writing down everything that gave me inspiration. It was really helping out with my stories. 

"One is called The Many Curious Mishaps of Gabriel Gray, and the other is called The Neighborhood. I'm really excited about them, actually. I think I might want to become an author," I gushed. 

Noah nodded approvingly. "Yeah, sounds cool. I think you'd be good at that." 

I beamed and gave him a quick pat on the head, then went back to join Logan in the living room. 

"Hey, what's up?" I asked as I plopped down next to him. 

"Well, Lupin's a werewolf and I'm frustrated that they don't see it," Logan said in an annoyed tone. "I mean, Hermoine's supposed to be the smart one. My first time reading this series, I figured it out before she did." 

"You did not," I objected. "I don't believe you." 

Logan shrugged. "What can I say? Maybe I should've attended Hogwarts in her place." 

I laughed and ruffled up his hair a bit. Then I headed over to the kitchen to prepare dinner for all of us- it was around 5 PM and I hadn't eaten all day. 

I decided on making something easy and simple, macaroni and cheese. Just as I was about to separate the noodles from the water, Noah made a sharp turn and the ingredients went everywhere. 

"Noah!" I shrieked. "There's boiling water all over everything now, including my damn arm!" 

"Sorry," he replied sheepishly. 

I rolled my eyes and continued making dinner. I had always been a bit of a baker, really, even from when I was young and I made my first sandwich at three years old. Of course, I was nothing special, but it had been a hobby of mine for as long as I could remember. 

When it was finished, I separated it onto three plates and then placed one in front of each boy, saving the third for myself. I joined Noah in the front of the RV, where he looked disgruntled and worried. 

"What's up?" I chirped, stabbing a fork into my noodles. 

"We have a tail," Noah hissed. 

"A what?" I said with a giggle. "Tail?" 

"Yeah," he said, glancing into the rearview mirror. "That blue car over there, it's following us." 

I rolled my eyes. "No, it isn't. It's just headed in the same direction." 

Noah shook his head. "No, listen to me. Remember when I made that right turn a lttle while ago, and everything spilled? That was the third of four turns. If you do four right turns, that makes a circle. I did that and the guy, that dude in the blue car, he did the same thing. Why would he purposely drive in a circle? There's no good reason, Ellen. We have a tail."