c o n f e s s i n g

-ellen-

"Everything is awesome," sang the Lego cartoon characters on my iPad. "Everything is cool when you're part of a team,"

"I don't see the appeal so far," I said to Logan, who had recommended the Lego movie to me.

"Shh, it gets better," he said. "I promise."

It was around 9 in the morning. I was always an early riser, so I had gotten Logan awake as well. Surprise, surprise, Kate decided to join us too.

We were all sitting on my bed, watching a movie and eating food. Noah was still asleep but I didn't particularly care- I was fuming mad at him, I'm surprised smoke wasn't pouring out of my ears. I couldn't believe the nerve he had, inviting Kate on my trip. I could kick them both out, if I wanted, but then I would have no one to drive and no one to keep me company. That would be a lonely road indeed.

"So, if this is a number two pencil, then like, what's number one?" Kate asked in a ditzy voice, holding up one of my pencils. "Because they always say, like, bring a number two pencil, but what's the best kind of pencil? A number one? Do those exist?"

I snatched the pencil away from her. "No one cares," I replied nastily, though I started to think about it myself. Is there such thing as a number one pencil? The world may never know.

"Well, I was talking about it with Noah last night," Kate giggled. "And we couldn't figure it out."

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, that's not surprising, Noah doesn't really take the time to ponder things."

She turned to me with an icy glare. "I know. After all, he was my boyfriend for quite awhile."

Surprised, I raised an eyebrow. It wasn't like Kate to be nasty to my face- usually she did it behind my back.

"Are you implying that you know him better than I do?"

Logan suddenly bursted out laughing as something from the movie exploded. "Guys, you're missing the funny parts!"

Kate glanced at the screen for a second, and then turned back to me. "Yeah, I do know him better. Maybe he tells you stuff, but he's gotten quite intimate with me."

I wanted to gag. "You're joking, right? You're joking! I'm his best friend!"

Kate smirked and gave a little shrug. "Well, I think it's safe to say that I'm his best friend as well."

I was about to smack her, but Logan was sitting right inbetween us and I had put that poor guy through enough already.

"Morning, guys," I heard Noah say sleepily. I looked up and there he was, in a long-sleeved shirt and sweatpants with his hair adorably tousled. I forced myself to look away before he saw me staring.

"Morning, Noah," I said with a tinge of bitterness. It seemed that that was my native tongue these days. "Why don't we eat some breakfast and then hit the road, hmm?"

I shut off the movie and ushered everyone into the main room. It was a mess, with pillows and blankets all over the floor.

"Who did this?" I asked tiredly, gesturing to the dump in front of me.

"Well, that was our bed," Noah admitted sheepishly, scratching the back of his head. "It was kinda cozy, you know?"

I massaged my temples in an effort to calm down, something I had been instructed to do back when I had to go to counseling. "Could you not be bothered to pick it up?"

"Jeez, I don't remember you being such a neat freak back in high school," Kate muttered as she started cleaning it up.

"Oh, shut up," I spat as I hurried off to the back bedroom to change out of my pajamas. To both my pleasure and discomfort, Logan followed me.