The Ball

Ch. 10

MARGAUX’S POV

“Ok, let’s all meet back here in an hour. We can all go to the ball together,” Ed smiled.

“Remember, wear something fancy,” Perrie winked, turning to leave.

I sighed walking back towards the stable. I have nothing but the clothes on my back to wear. How was I going to get into the ball with these rags? I was too embarrassed to say something earlier. Everyone had something...everyone but me. I would figure something out, I always do.

The townspeople were abuzz with the news of the ball. People were scurrying to prepare for the night’s festivities. The women were ironing their best dresses, the men retrieving their freshly pressed shirts from what looked like a laundromat. If you call a little hut with a washbasin and clotheslines a laundromat. I could feel the excitement in the air. It seemed as though a non-exclusive ball was uncommon around here. That is, until now.

As I neared the stable, I noticed someone standing by it’s entrance. They appeared irritated, toes tapping impatiently against the cobblestone. I approached warily, unsure of this newfound stranger. Moving closer and closer till I swore my heart stopped. Red nails rapping restlessly against the stable door. Red nails I knew far to well. Every fiber in my being told me to run. A rabbit escaping the claws of a mountain lion. Predator versus prey, but I couldn’t give her the satisfaction. I ignored my instincts and advanced towards the beast.

“Hello Ms. Flack,” I smiled through gritted teeth.

“It’s about time you got here. There is plenty of work to get done, and I can’t get my hands dirty.”

“Work?”

“Yes, you work for me. This is Flack Stables

My heart dropped. No, no, please no. I can’t work for her. There must be some mistake.

“Who says that I have to work for you?”

“Why this contract you signed. Contract that states that you will work for me and in exchange I will let you sleep here,” she smirked, “If you decide to break this deal, let’s just say the punishment will be quite severe.”

“I never signed anything!”

“Hmm let’s see. Who are people going to believe? A powerful woman like myself or a poor stable girl?”

I could see that there was no way around this. I hung my head in defeat. Tears threatening to fall. My hands balled into fists, knuckles white with rage. She was right. Who would take her word over mine? After all, it looked as though I had signed the contract. More like a deal with the devil.

“What do you need done?” I mumbled.

“I need you to muck out all the stalls and refill the food and water troff. I don’t care if it takes all night, just do it.”

With that, she shoved me into the stable and locked the door behind her. I was trapped, and I could almost feel her evil smirk from the other side of the dirty, wooden door. She was trying to break me, but I could not let that happen. Might as well get to work.

Mucking out stalls was not only disgusting, but revolting. It was as though these horses had never seen a clean stall in all their lives. I sympathized for them. It must be tough being owned by such a cruel woman, but I suppose she owned me as well. Never thought a horse and I would have something in common. I guess anything can happen in Donlon. It felt like a lifetime, but I had finally completed all of my chores. I glanced out the window at the large clock on the surface of Tall Michael. I had five minutes before I was to meet with my friends. I would never get ready in time! As if she could sense my misery, Ms. Flack reopened the door to the stables and pranced inside.