xxiii.

" you're the queen, so let me be your king "

______

As much as the conversation in the kitchen had helped aide in some of my heavy thoughts my brain was still bouncing around everything that happened over the past few days.

So when the time came and everyone bid their farewell and goodnights instead of taking the usual turn to the bedroom I find myself wandering the opposite direction - straight out into the gardens where I begin to roam aimlessly.

Eventually, however long it took I do not know, I find myself sitting at bench a little ways away from the castle by some little man-made pond that trickled downwards into the gardens. The sound soothes something inside of me as I stare into the rippling water.

And I just let myself breathe - breathe in the fresh air, take in the sounds of the rustling of the leaves amongst the chirps of crickets and other little animals scavenging in the night. The cool air makes goosebumps arise on my arms but I welcome the feelings and sit with it all.

Everything was- it was a lot.

So I let myself untangle the mess piece by piece, let myself feel the grief, the hurt, the confusion and to just be for a little while. The discovery of having family was a good thing- two half brothers and a cousin. My father being dealt with once and for all no matter the dramatics it had taken. These were positives. Reuniting Jack with his mate. Change was good, everything changes eventually it's just a matter of how we accept it into our lives.

The biggest change however was Nolan.

My mate.

At the start of this all, I came in to introduce myself to my niece and now... and now I take a look around and feel the power dynamics shifting inside of me, the way the moon shone differently onto the land. My land. This Pack was mine. Everything was mine. From having so little to suddenly having a family and a pack and a person who would love me unconditionally for the rest of our lives.

But could I do the same?

Can I see myself loving Nolan for the rest of my life?

"Yes," I breathe out into the night, "yes I do."

The tree's and plants continue to rustle and the crickets chirp a little tune.

Everything feels a little more light.

______

The sun was beginning to rise, the sky lightening inch by inch as the morning dew begun to settle in where the light tries to squeeze through the gaps of the tree's announcing its presence.

There's someone calling my name almost frantically in the background. "Cassandra!"

I twist to look behind me where I see a hurried looking Nolan. "I'm down by the pond!" I call back out, standing up worriedly as he approaches faster calling out my name once again, "Nolan what's wrong? What happened?"

Arms encase around my body as soon as he reaches me, pulling me into hug.

"Cassandra you can't do that." He shakily says, pulling back with almost wild eyes scouring every inch of my body as if checking I was really in front of him.

"Nolan?" I question, looking at his rattled expression.

"You can't just disappear like that." He breathes harshly, hands moving up and all over my body almost franticly, "you- I thought- you just-"

"Oh," I breathe out, it suddenly dawning on me. "I'm so sorry." I whisper out, where we unite in another tight embrace but this time his head slips into the crook of my neck where his nose trails along the ridges breathing in deep shuddering breathes. "I didn't mean to worry you like that."