iii.

" fingers graze, sparks fly "

___

      The morning arrives, the dawned sun awakening me through the windows that leave me breath-taken every morning. I'm prepared and ready to go as promised to Julia, meeting her exactly at five on the dot in the already bustling kitchen.

She looks shocked upon my arrival and I just grin. "I told you, didn't I?"

"My apologies, Miss. Not everyone likes mornings."

"If this is going to work you need to start calling me Cassie, Julia." I laugh lightly trying to get her to be more friendly based towards me rather than professional, "I'll call you chef."

"Julia is fine, dear." She smiles, looking a little tired for the morning, "I normally prep the batters for everything first, the crepes happen a little later on."

I nod. "That's fine, give me a task and I'll help out."

"Oh no- defiantly not." She immediately says, having none of it as I nod in yes.

"Julia, I promise I won't destroy anything if that's what you're worried about."

"It's not that, you shouldn't be lifting a finger."

We argue about it for another fifteen minutes even if during that time, much to the amusement of the other apprentices, I had already picked up a knife and was helping cut up some ham with another chef.

She soon relaxes when I show her I can be a good asset to the team, handing me easy jobs first that eventually become a little bit harder which she appraises me for.

When we begin the batch of crepes, she's amazing in being able to explain the method, the story behind the crepes, the ingredients measurements and making sure I was keeping up. She lets me have a turn in making my own batch, laughing when I fail the first one, and then allows me to try again.

We have a laugh and I begin to think she's actually loosened up a bit around me, becoming much more lively and chatting about her job and her favourite dishes to create. I join in, telling her why I love crepes so much and a few of my favourite past-time dishes too.

Slowly, I begin to work my way around the counters in the kitchen and the different stations set up, making sure to introduce myself to everyone and learning their names. There is about ten other people all of which bow their head to me for some reason I still don't understand, and they have the uttermost pride in their eyes when I appraise their jobs.

They're all kind and welcoming too, not putting much of a fight like Julia did when I offer to help out. Perhaps realising I would still help despite them saying no.

As of now, Julia had put her uttermost faith in me to finish the second batch of crepes which - to my absolute delight - were turning out ah-mazing.

If I do say so myself.

"Everything okay?" Julia calls out to the whole kitchen.

"Yes, chef." Everyone belts back, even me much to the laughter that resides around me when I do so.

I just grin happily at Julia who shakes her head with soft laughter ringing throughout the kitchen.

"She's never this happy so early in the morning." My bench mate, who's name I learned is Kirsty, comments beside me.

She was frying up the scrambled eggs as I flip another crepe and place it on the plate. "What do you mean?"

"Well, five am starts take a toll on you and she's being doing this shift for years. Over time it just gets exhausting, but this morning I think you've brought out her love for cooking again."