xiv.

" for she is his poet, and he is her poetry "

______

     This was one of the stranger but fascinating things of the supernatural, I think to myself. Watching with keen interest as Nolan adjusts a crystal glass ball, uncovering it from the red velvet sheet and placing it gently on the table seemingly made to hold it.

"That's a crystal ball?" I remark in my confusion, "why?"

"The Witches apparently still live in the eighteen hundreds," Andrew snidely says from his spot beside me. He stands with his arms crossed and shoulders taught as if preparing himself for battle.

That only further confuses me.

"It's how we communicate with them," Jack softly explains on my other side. In contrast to Andrew he was in a much more relaxed position, going as far as casually leaning up against the wall with his hands tucked into his jeans pockets.

"A crystal ball." I hum, eyes alight in wonderment. "How does it work? Do we use a spell? Summon them? Is it like Snow White kind of situation? Mirror, Mirror on the wall..."

And then a loud clap and poof, the crystal ball illuminates into a stream of white, shining and blinding, causing me to squeal in shock, jump ten feet in the air and manhandle Jack in front of me as protection. Andrew dives behind me as well both of us using Jack as our burly wall of protection.

Nolan just takes a step back as if expecting this, which, to be fair he probably was and his head tilts upwards as the shining light above the crystal fades into a hologram of a woman.

"Yes?" Red encased lips twist up in a drawl.

There's a lady that elegantly awaits, looking down upon us from her position above. She has unruly curly black hair with a red and black bandana tied around in an attempt to tame them. I notice the bold make up she wears on her brown skin, winged eyeliner just as sharp as the power behind her eyes.

Altogether, she is everything and nothing you would expect for a witch.

"A little warning would of been nice," Andrew hisses in my ear, the scowl in his voice. I elbow him in the gut ignoring the small hiss he releases as all my attention stays at the Witch in front of us.

"Sorcerer Blaise, if I may have your attention for a moment." Nolan in all politeness speaks.

Sorcerer Blaises lips purse in a curl before she nods. "Proceed."

"I would like to request a formal assistance order with your coven."

"A request of assistance," her voice holds an exotic twang to the words in a long drawl - just short of an accent I can't quite determine yet, "does this perhaps correlate with the little human pathetically hiding behind your Beta?"

"No." Nolan sharply responds, his body tensing immediately at her words. My eyes widen but I still make no effort in detangling myself out of the Beta or Delta who have me sandwiched in-between them.

She raises a perfectly shaped eyebrow. "No. No, I sense this is something quite more serious."

"No? Really? What makes you say that?" Andrew whispers in my ear sarcastically only earning another elbow in the gut.

"There's speculation that we may have one of yours within our lands," Nolan carefully announces, "and not willingly either. I believe it is best if we discuss this face to face."

"Very well." She nods and with that the light fades from the crystal ball where silence envelopes the room along with it.

"Well, that was..." Andrew begins before letting out an ungodly screech that startles me.