Chapter 8

< If you don't know Good Vibrations by Marky Mark & The Funky Bunch, Humpty Dance by Digital Underground, or Sunday Morning by Maroon 5... GO LISTEN TO THEM!!! You'll need the songs for later... :) >

Michael and I went to an old diner to celebrate what just happened. We both got some weird looking hot dogs, but I'm not eating them. I'm too busy playing on my phone. And by playing, I mean learning everything I possibly can about the courses at UVA. Now that I know that it's a legitimate possibility... plus I get in-state tuition discounts. I hear the shutter of a phone, and look up at Michael.

"Sorry." He says, blushing violently. I see his phone between the ketchup and mustard. "I didn't know the sound was on."

"Selfies?" I ask. He shakes his head.

"It's of you, because you're the only person I know that's cuter than I am...well Ashton is cuter than me, but that's only because he's little and straightens his hair." I laugh at him.

"Okay, so... I spy..with my little eye," I look around, trying to change the subject. "Uh, something, gray?"

"Gray?" Michael asks, looking around. "That girls skirt? No. Okay, uhm, Lucas Robert, do not tell me that you are looking at that man's-."

"No, I wasn't, dork. But, now that you mentioned it, what do you think it is... Like a 9 inch?" He slaps me, making me burst into laughter.

"What the hell is gray other than that?" Michael asks.

"Your boxers." I say, winking. He looks down, pulling out the front of his pants.

"Well, I'll be damned."

"Ew, you just sounded like your father."

"Oh my God. I really did. Oh no! I sounded like I actually live in Virginia! No!"

"No!" I say with him.

Michael starts to laugh, covering his face with his hands. I smile, watching as his shoulders shake. Just as quickly as he started laughing, he stops. His hands slam down on the table, and his face looks pained.

"Mikey?" I ask, instantly alarmed. He shakes his head.

"It's okay, I just got this really...really intense pain. It's okay." He shakes his head, pushing me away from him. I frown. It's okay, it's okay, it's okay.

"We can just go home, alright?" I ask, and he nods. I set some money on the table, and leave with Mikey. He starts coughing again in the car. He whines in pain. I glance over at him. "You okay, kitten?"

"Yeah. I'm okay." He smiles over at me, a tint of pink on his teeth.

When we get to his house, he takes a handful of hair. He stands at the door for a while. I watch him carefully. He flips the welcome mat over, cursing under his breath.

"Where's the key?" Michael asks, looking at me for guidance.

"Over the door. It's always been over the door." I say. Michael nods, reaching up for it. That's the third thing he's forgotten. The first was the plates, the second was what we were doing in the sports store, and now this. I'm sure it's nothing. I'm just overreacting like normal. He opens the door, walking in. He heads straight to the bathroom, taking some pain medication, and brushing his teeth. He coughs again, wrapping his arms around himself.

"Mommy!" He shouts, walking past me. "Mommy, Luke got UVA to look into him for soccer! He might be going to UVA!" He starts hacking again, resting his hand against the wall to keep himself still.

"That's great!" I hear Karen shout from the kitchen. Michael turns around to smile at me.

"She's proud." He decides. His face contorts, and he coughs once more. "Ugh, this is some hot shit, right?" He jokes.