Chapter 18

He had three seizures today. The doctors are all on edge. They keep coming in and checking everything. I stay seated beside Michael, my hand clamped tightly around his.

The first one, I wasn't even awake yet. I woke up because other people were in the room. They were practically swarming him like a herd of bees (is it a herd? Maybe it's a gaggle? I dunno. I'm a math kid, not ecology or whatever), asking and saying stupid things, like are you listening, and squeeze my hand when you're with us.

The second one happened around 10 this morning. Michael said that his fingers felt funny. He laid on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. I faintly remembered seeing the look in his eyes before it happened. The shaking started off subtly. Just little twitches in his arms and legs, but it quickly got worse. I read before that you're just supposed to let it happen. Let the person go through the seizing without confining them. Apparently it's better.

He finally stopped seizing. Laying very still on the bed. I ran my hand through his hair, smiling at him. He relaxed at my touch, and his hazy green eyes closed. I, of course, went to the nurses station to make sure that they knew about it. They came in, and stuck some IV thing in him so that he could get the medicine and still let him rest.

The third one was during lunch. This was the worst, because there was absolutely no warning. We went down to the cafeteria Michael leaned on me the whole way down, not feeling right from the first two. (He's getting even thinner and wobbly. I don't like it. He's not the perfect cuddle size anymore). I helped him through the food line. I kept a hand on his back the whole time to steady him. He wasn't hungry, which is a first for me. He got a banana, holding it like he might cry if I made him actually eat it. I went to tell him that he doesn't have to eat, and bam! He fell over. That one was pretty awful. There's nothing to do, so I kinda screamed in fear. A nurse came rushing in, and a team of people moved him to a rolling table-bed-thing. I guess it was just to transport him.

Now, we're being told more things. Which is fun, read the sarcasm. I don't even think that Michael is listening. He's looking out the window from his bed, his eyes half closed.

"The only new rule, is that if you want to leave the bed, you have to talk to one of your doctor's first. It's just for your own- Michael pay attention sweetie- protection." The nurse says, filling out a paper. She continues to talk, but it's not that important.

When she finally leaves, we just watch a few stupid movies together from his bed. My phone buzzes on the table, so I get up to grab it. It's a text from Calum.

Cal: Hey :)
Me: hi
Cal: Mister Mikey awake?
Me: yeah he's watching up
Cal: I love Up!!!!!
Me: what did you need?
Cal: I want to hang out. I miss you :(
Me: cry about it
Cal: I already did, dude. 6 hours straight.
Me: im with mikey tho
Cal: That whale call in the distance is just my cry of frustration.
Cal: So don't worry
Cal: Can I come over to the hospital?
Me: sure i'll tell mikey to put clothes on
Cal: Oh?
Me: Not like that you pervert

"Michael," I say, setting my phone down. "Calum's coming to visit, so you should get real clothes on." I say. He nods, his eyelids looking heavy. I sit beside him again, playing with his hair.

"Tell me a story." He keeps his voice low. He moves himself closer to me, putting his head on my shoulder.

"I don't know a story." I say, feeling nervous. I don't know why. Probably because I was just put on the spot like that.

"Sure you do." He says.

"Uh..." I try to think of anything at all. "Once upon a time, in a kingdom far, far away, the king and queen were blessed with a-"