// Dream a Little Dream //

You were walking in a cemetery.

You didn't know what you were doing there, only knowing that you needed to find where this path led to. You needed to be where it ended.

Trees were collapsing all around you, flowers were dying at your footsteps. What kind of sick place is this? You ask yourself. The air stunk of something strong, too strong for the human nose to process. This puzzled you for the rest of the way. The sounds you heard too–although, it was easier to depict.

Babies crying.

Lovers cursing out in agony.

The sounds of old bones crippling, and new ones forming from their ashes.

It was a horrible cycle, and you almost stopped to puke, but you just couldn't.

You couldn't stop. You had to keep walking.

Trees kept collapsing and flowers kept dying. Babies kept crying and–

You reached the end of your path.

Someone was waiting for you.

His back was turned to you, but you knew who it was. He was familiar. Too familiar.

"Harry!" You call out. You couldn't hear your own voice, but he must've since he turns around as quick as lightning. Your insides turn to ice when he faces you. Half of his face was damaged. So burnt that you weren't sure how the other side could still be perfection when it was neighbors with disaster.

You didn't hear your own voice, but you could hear his. His came out low and dark, almost snake-like. "Get away from me, monster. Look what you've done to me, just by looking at me."

Lips parting, you reach for him. But before you could even manage to lay a finger on his skin, scars were cutting their way up his forearm. And blood. Hot, red blood was spilling from them.

"AWAY!" Harry yells, pain twisting his gentle features into something monstrous. "GET AWAY FROM ME. NOT ONE STEP CLOSER."

You didn't dare move. You even tore your eyes away from him, in case it would result in any more damage. You didn't know why he thinks you're hurting him. You didn't even touch him. How could you possibly hurt him without touching him?

"I don't want to die," Harry cries.

You didn't have to look up at him to know red tears were dripping from his color-less eyes.

Then you realized why.

You were Death.

You are Death.

Trees collapsed–for Death.

Flowers died–for Death.

Babies crying and lovers torn apart and bones crippling–all for Death.

All for you.

"I'm so sorry," you say–still unable to hear your own voice. You can't help it–you glanced up at the only person you have been able to love.

But you didn't see him. You didn't see new injuries or hideous marks spark up on his skin. All you saw was a black stone, in the same place where Harry was just.

A black gravestone.

Death killed him.

Death took him.

You killed him.

You took him.

And when you woke up, Harry wasn't beside you.

So you screamed, finally able to hear yourself.

Your screams ricochet off your bedroom's walls.

Finally being able to hear them–you almost wish you hadn't. The voice coming out of your mouth wasn't familiar. It was twisted and too loud and too mangled.

You hands shake against the damp bedsheets and your skin felt as if it was on fire. All you could see was black. Pitch black. There wasn't even a speck of light. This was when you realized your eyelids were pressed shut.

You did nothing to lift them.

Eternity. That's how long your screams lasted. You couldn't even tell if it was your voice, anymore. Maybe it was something more than that. Maybe it was the eerie music that only played for Death.

Your body shakes uncontrollably.

Then a icy hand comes down on your parted lips.

"Kitten, shh."

Oh God.

No no no no–

"No! Get away!" You thrash out blindly, successfully hitting something. "Harry! Get away from me!"

You can feel him hesitate, but only for the briefest of seconds. Then his strong arms engulf you and your warm, shaking fingers touch his cold chest. He murmurs into your hair, "Kitten what's wrong? Stop screaming. Fuck, you're on fire."

You don't stop struggling. You can't. I am Death I am Death. "PLEASE. Please! Make it stop. God please make it STOP!"

"Make what stop?" Harry why are you so stubborn. You have to leave me. "Tell me what's wrong and I'll fix it. Please just–look at me. You have to look at me–"

"You don't understand," you cry out. "If I look at you..."

"AWAY!" Harry yells, pain twisting his gentle features into something monstrous. "GET AWAY FROM ME. NOT ONE STEP CLOSER."

You didn't know what else to do. Blinded by the darkness, you didn't know what else to do. For a moment, the only sounds in the room was of you sobbing uncontrollably and Harry taking in deep breaths.

"Just look at me, Y/N," he pleads. "I need you to look at me." You shake your head and you can feel your nails leaving marks on Harry's arm. "Y/N please. You're scaring me."

"I-If I l-look at y-you," you stammer, "Y-You'll get h-hurt. Y-You'll regret it."

Then two confident words leave Harry's mouth. "Try me."

Harry's hand intertwines with your trembling one and he squeezes it twice. His thumb traces gentle circles against the back of your hand.

"Okay," you mumble and then you rip your eyelids open and the first thing you see are Harry's green eyes. You want to desperately tear your gaze off of him but–as if Harry suspected this–his hands fly up and cup your face, fixing your eyes intently on his. "H-Harry–"

"See?" Harry smiles softly. "I'm fine. You're fine. We're fine, Y/N. It was just a bad dream, okay?"

And it was as if all the lights in the room clicked on at once.

You weren't on a path. There were no babies crying. No bones breaking.

All there is, and all there ever was, is Harry's gentle, green eyes staring right back at you.

"I'm sorry," you choke out, and he holds you close to his bare chest. "I just had...the shittiest d-dream ever."

He laughs, "Remind me next time to never leave in the middle of the night."