Idiot

Magnus spent two hours slaving over Alec until he finally sat down, exhausted. The poison was out and sat in three large jars beside the bed. It was a miracle he was alive; he hadn't initially responded to Magnus' treatment but his breathing became regular after around half an hour which gave a clear indication of recovery.

Clary had disappeared away somewhere to go to bed while Izzy and Jace stayed awake. They had gotten back late, but it was still only around 8 in the evening. Everyone was exhausted after the hunt and in desperate need of a shower. "I'm staying." Izzy said, "I'm not leaving till he wakes up."

Jace nodded, "I'm going for a shower then coming straight back, alright?" Jace said, leaving the room.

"You staying, Magnus?" Izzy asked and he nodded as well, laid back in a chair with his eyes closed. "You too tired to talk about Alec?"

"What about him?"

"How do you feel about him? I know you really don't like what we did to get the two of you to meet but.. Will you ever consider taking him back?"

Magnus shrugged. "I think about it sometimes. Easy enough to avoid him, but I guess I must like him because I'm not charging you anything once again."

"Then take him back already!"

"Ssh!" He looked at Alec and fought the urge to stroke his hair, "just let him heal. I can't, he needs to learn rejection. I can't just be the only man he loves. I'm immortal and he isn't, I can't handle that."

"By the angel you're so.. selfish! You'd rather he suffered than live his life happy by your side? You know how it feels, don't you care for him?"

"Selfish!? You have no idea what I go through on a day to day basis, what I've been through." He stood up. "You don't understand the pain of being immortal. I'm doing what's best for him! You're on your own now, I'm not helping you anymore."

Magnus turned and left the room, making sure to slam the infirmary door behind him.

~*~

"Clary, why are you taking me to a cafe?"

"Because you're stressed out and need to stop thinking about Alec so much. Magnus is looking after him so he couldn't be in safer hands." Jace didn't answer her, "look. We haven't been out on a date in ages either, so we're going out to try and make up for that."

"That's what this is about? I'll take you on a date tomorrow night then-"

"Yeah you've been saying that for the past couple weeks and yet nothing has happened. So I'm doing it instead."

"You're mad at me aren't you?"

"Mad? I'm not mad, you're the one who's mad."

"Now is not the time for quoting literature, Clary. You're mad at me because I haven't taken you on a date recently. We spend close to everyday together, is that not enough?" No answer. "Clary, come on."

Clary stopped walking and spun round, angry tears in her eyes. "I'm just sick of you ignoring me Jace!"

"Wha-? Ignoring you?"

"Yes! The past week you barely talked to me, you haven't been close everyday, nor almost, barely! We haven't kissed in two days."

"Oh, so that's what this is really about. The fact that I've been worrying about Alec has been angering you? Little selfish don't you think?"

"Alec isn't the only one that matters!" Jace raised an eyebrow, "I matter too! You've spent so much time with family instead of me!"

"You used to do it too, spend time with Luke and Jocelyn instead of me."

"No I do not! Argh! You never have understood me at all!" She turned back and stormed off.

"Women.." Jace rolled his eyes, fists clenched and returned to the institute.

~*~

"How's Alec?" Jace asked, returning to the infirmary.

"Well that was a long shower."

"Clary dragged me out but she decided to argue halfway so I came back. Again, how is he?"

Isabelle sighed. "I may or may not have argued with Magnus.."

"What!? Isabelle!"

"I tried to get him back with Alec!"

Jace began pacing, one hand gripping his hair, "is he coming back?"

"I don't think so.."

"Isabelle!"

"I'm sorry I tried to fix things." Jace stopped and simply looked at her with a scowl, "Alec is fine, by the way. Magnus said he would heal just fine he just needs to sleep." There was silence between them. "I'm going for a shower now, I'll be right back."

Isabelle got up and left the infirmary, whacking Jace over the head as she left which only made him laugh.

~*~

Izzy returned about half an hour later looking glamorous. "What's the heels for, Garbo?" Izzy gave him a weird look. "Clary says it all the time. Not sure what it means myself."

"Right.. any changes to Alec?"

Jace shook his head, "nah, still sleeping."

Izzy sighed and went round to sit beside him, taking his hand. "Hm.. he's burning up."

"Fever burning or just generally hot?"

"Fever.. Get him a cold rag while I do an iratze."

Jace nodded and quickly made up an ice bucket filled with rags and placed one on his forehead. "He did get all the poison out, right?"

"He said he did. Would Magnus lie about Alec's health?" She shrugged and drew the iratze and frowned when it disappeared. "It's not working."

"What do you mean it's not working? It should work unless Magnus messed up!"

"Jace. Jace listen to me."

"What!?"

"Get Magnus on the phone, Alec's dying again."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

God this chapter was hard to write. Without the main plot idea, I literally have no idea where this is going! I have a vague idea but Alec has to heal first... Message me if you're interested in helping >.<

Anyway, what did you think of this chapter? Let me know in the comments and leave a little vote! It's always highly appreciated when you do!

See ya next week ~Fiz