PROLOGUE

"Gregg." Rodrick Heffley stands over his little brother's bed, his head hovering over his face. His smile drops as he realizes his brother isn't waking up. "GREG!" He screams louder, and his brother shoots up out of bed with a startled look on his face, though he is half asleep, he puts his body back down on the bed with a sigh.

"What." He sighs out quietly, the tiredness hits him. Though Rodrick still shakes him awake.

"Get up, You're gonna be late," Rodrick says, but still shaking Greg. Almost to the point, he's bouncing off the bed.

"Quit it, Rodrick!" Greg pushes Rodrick off him, making him stand straighter. "Why are you—— what am I late for?" Greg mumbles, sitting up in bed.

"Middle school," Rodrick says like it's obvious, "what do you think? Today is your first day. Hurry up or moms gonna lose it." Rodrick walks away from Greg's bed putting his empty book bag over his shoulder. Leaving the room, walking nonchalantly back to his room with a smirk.

Greg lets out an exaggerated sigh, jumping out of bed in a hurry. He runs down the stairs with his pants halfway pulled up and into the kitchen. He then tugs them up his hips and grabs the cheerios from the cabinet. He hastily pours himself a bowl and gets the milk. He picks up his 'Spider-Man' comic and eats extremely fast, barely even glancing at the words scribbled on the comics pages. He finishes his cereal in record time, now waiting for his parents to come down, and drive him.

He grabs the remote from the end table and clicks the TV on. The channel is on an infomercial, he changes the channel...another infomercial. Something is not right.

He hears scrambling coming down the stairs, his dad in a nervous sweat. "What are you doing?!" He exhales in relief, glad it's only his son, he won't have to fight off any criminals tonight.

"Getting ready for my first day of middle..." Greg looks at his dad with a confused stare, he looks at the closed blinds, and pulls one open...it's still dark outside... "-school."

"What? It's four o'clock in the morning!" He says, tiredly rubbing his forehead "and school doesn't start until next week!" Another sound comes from the stairs, slower footsteps this time. Susan Heffley walks into the kitchen holding her youngest son Manny on her hip. Frank looks at his son sadly, "You woke Manny up. He never goes back to sleep." He then turns to his wife, " he woke Manny up." She just nods at her husband tiredly.

"Have you lost your mind?!" She whispers harshly at her son.

Greg looks at his parents and then at his little brother. "It was Rodrick!"

They all stomp up the stairs, exhausted. They quietly crowd into Rodricks room. Where he is lying on the bed softly snoring, in his plaid pajamas. "But he-." Greg tried to argue.

"Go to bed." Susan says walking out of her oldest son's room, Frank following, then a mournful Greg.

Rodrick smirks to himself and sits up out of bed to the window, where his best friend is waiting for him on the roof. "Come here." He grabs her tired hands, pulling her into his room, she rubs her eyes.

"Next time you invite me over, can it be when you're not scheming." He laughs quietly and nods at her. Pulling her softly into his arms, and lulling her back to sleep. Smiling as she closes her eyes, and snuggles softly into his neck.