𝒕𝒘𝒐, bonfire

FEAR OF HER.
[ chapter two ]

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

"EVE?" Newt knocks on the homestead door, "You in there?"

"Yeah." She replies lazily, her arms folded behind her head while she stares up at the roof of the homestead.

"Are you decent?"

She rolls her eyes, throwing her legs over the side of the so she's in a sitting position before trudging slowly over to the door, swinging it up, "Yes."

There was an incident a year ago, where a group of boys walked in on her while she was changing, and like usual she nearly bit their heads off for not reading the sign on the door that said 'changing - keep out'.

Newt smiles at the girl and she returns it, showing a side of her that not many get to see, "It's bonfire time. The boys are lighting it now."

They both start to make their way over to the crowd around the large pile of sticks, the homestead door slamming shut behind them.

"You spoken to the Greenie much?" Newt questions, as the shouts of the Gladers start to get louder and louder.

Evelyn shakes her head and he hums, already expecting that answer but asking just incase, for once, she had actually gone out of her way to be nice to the new comer.

The blonde and brunette takes a stick each from Gally, the end of them wrapped and on fire.

Eve smirks, surprised that she was actually allowed to hold a stick for once before throwing it onto the pile once Alby shouts, "Light it up!"

Everyone starts to cheer and clap their hands, almost forgetting for a second that they're stuck in a square surrounded by a maze. Newt lazily throws his arm over Eve's shoulder, lifting his hand up to ruffle her hair. She smacks him away, chuckling happily.

"Gladers! Gladers! Gladers!" They all begin to chant, throwing fists up into the air like they're at a football game.

Every single month they did this, it was a small ceremony for whenever a Greenie came up in the box. A welcome party to help them settle in and get to know everyone better.

Gally shoves a jar of his special mixture into Eve's chest and she grasps it before holding it up into the air, meeting everyone else's, "To the Gladers!"

Newt leads them over to a log and they both lower themselves down, facing away from the fire and commotion. Evelyn takes a large sip of Gally's drink, no longer pulling the disgusted face that she used to do.