𝒆𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕, griever pancake

FEAR OF HER.
[ chapter eight ]

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

THE GROUP OF SIX SPRINT THROUGH THE GLADE, trying to be undetected as they past through the maze doors - nervous breaths leaving the boy's mouths as they enter a part they've been forbidden from for so long.

Evelyn and Minho lead the way to the specific section where the Griever was squished between two walls a few nights previous. As they turn the corner, the group starts to slow down into a walk, approaching the revealed creature with caution, one of it's legs sprawled out and the rest of it's guts spilled over the cobbled floor.

"That's disgusting." Zart grimaces, taking a step back before turning his head to gag.

"Thank you for your helpful words, Zart." Eve rolls her eyes at him, before stepping towards the Griever, goo gripping onto the soles of her shoes, "There's something in here."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Eve?" Thomas breathes, "What are you doing?"

"Getting it out." She replies, manoeuvring her body around so she's in the correct position to grab whatever the strange object is.

"You mean there's something in there..." Fry swallows, squinting his eyes slightly, "...besides a Griever pancake?"

Evelyn lowers her head slightly, her eyes meeting the massive jaw and revealed teeth of the creatures but she squeezes her eyes shut to remove the image before shoving her hand roughly into the small gap between the two doors. Slowly, her fingers curl around the metal cylinder, and she has to harden her grip - the slime making it even more difficult to remove it, whatever it is.

Thomas steps forward, and the other boys follows his lead, peering into the dark gap where her hand had disappeared down. Suddenly, before Evelyn can get a good grip on the object, the leg retracts back into the body, nearly trapping her arm but Thomas jumps forward and pulls her securely into his chest.

"I thought you said it was dead." Frypan snaps.

"It was." Eve awkwardly removes Thomas' hands from her waist and turns to the cook, "It's a machine. Parts of it will still be alive."

"Okay, come on," Thomas waves his hand in the air for a second, beckoning them to join him as he grabs ahold of the leg and begins to yank on it, "let's try and pull it out." Everyone quickly follows his instructions and grabs a different part of the monster's mechanical limb, "Alright, ready? On three. One, two, three!"

On his count, the Gladers snap up, only having to pull on it once before it's ripped completely off the Griever's body, bringing some of the guys with it. The boy's fall back onto the floor as the leg slips from their grip, causing Eve to chuckle quietly as they scramble up in a rush.

"You okay. Evelyn?" Thomas asks the girl, stepping closer to her.

"Me?" She laughs, "You guys are the ones who fell." She raises her hands into a surrender, "Not me." Another chuckle escapes her throat as she kneels down, sticking her hand towards a cocoon of flesh. Hastily, she brings it up for the others to see, slipping the casing of good off to reveal a metal cylinder with a flashing red light on and a small screen, that had the number 'seven' on with a sticker underneath ready 'WCKED. 9643921'.

"What the hell is that?" Thomas questions, grimacing as he watches all the discoloured wetness slipping off it and onto the floor

Minho appears by the girl's side, ripping the machine from her hands as if they were siblings and checks over it himself, causing Evelyn to screw her face up at his rudeness, "Interesting." He ponders, glancing up at the rest of the group.

"Okay, whatever it is, can we take this up back at the Glade?" Frypan's shoulder shudder as he glances around at the ivy covered walls of the maze, "Cause I don't wanna meet this guys friends."

"He's right." Minho nods, flicking his hand in an attempt to remove the goo, "Come on." He jumps over the leg, and begins to run, everyone following his lead.

_________________
short ass chapter
688 words 💀