𝒇𝒊𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏, cracked

𝐅𝐄𝐀𝐑 𝐎𝐅 𝐇𝐄𝐑.
[ chapter fifteen ]

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

THE GLADERS DEVISED A WELL THOUGHT OUT PLAN, and once everyone had agreed on it, Evelyn moved away from them all to de-stress , secretly tiptoeing her way through the forest that she had grown to love, and that she would miss.

Over the three years of being held captive, Evelyn had formed a strong bond with every single boy, and the Glade was home to her. If she had a choice, she would stay and cherish the warmth and love of it all, but the Grievers would just keep coming back until every last one of them was dead. Eve wasn't sure if it was all Thomas fault, but not one bit of her cares if it was. Annoyingly, he had unlocked a part of her that she didn't even think existed.

"You know, if Gally catches you here your toast." A boy calls out as she scrambles her way up a tree, perching carefully on the branch while her legs kick back and forth beneath her.

"He's throwing me into that shit hole anyway." She sighs, shuffling along as she its beside her, "What worse could he do?"

"I was wondering, do you know how Teresa ended up with a broken nose?" He questions, a small smirk on his face.

She purses her lips, knowing that he's already put the pieces together. She wasn't trying to hide the fact that she was the one who'd attacked the other girl, but she most definitely was not going to tell him by choice, "Thought she would've snitched by now."

"Oh, she did. Quite a few times." He rolls his eyes, turning his head to look at Eve, "She's terrified of you, Eve."

"Good." She bites her lip, the pair falling into a comfortable silence, as they both just stare out into the dark and menacing woods, getting their last glimpse of the beautiful trees, "I'm going to miss this place."

Thomas sighs sadly beside her, his hand moving to rest atop of hers, his thumb gently caressing the back of it, "Fuck. Evelyn, I'm so sorry about all of this. It's my fault that your being forced out."

She attempts to smile reassuringly over at him, but her lips refused to put on a fake face for him, "Three whole years I spent here. Running in and out of that maze for no fucking reason. Alby and I promised each other we would escape together. Look where that got us." She sniffs sadly, still managing to keep her tears under control as she turns to face him, "I hate you, y'know?"

He nods in defeat, his hand moving away from her's to rest in his lap, "Yeah. You never truly have liked me, have you?"

"I like you more than the majority of the boys here, take that as a compliment." She smiles and he watches in awe - he would never get over how pretty she was whenever she showed the tiniest bit of joy. Though, it was always short lived, he took it all in and replayed it in his mind so the delight never left.

Whenever she was glaring at Thomas, she looked just as beautiful, if not more, but the terror in him took over, so he never absorbed the beauty as he should. Her smile wiped away all the intimidating features for a moment, taking him away from reality and calming him.

Evelyn's scared. Just like she was scared when she was trapped in the maze over night for the first time. The idea of leaving her home terrified her and her minds screaming at her heart to stop her from going with Thomas, "I'm scared." She blurts, immediately mentally smacking herself.

His face drops slightly. Never in his life would he expect Eve to say those words to him, even though she supposedly hates him. In a sense, he felt almost proud that she felt safe enough to open up to him like that, "You'll be fine. You've got Minho, Newt, Fry, Chuck and the rest. You've got nothing to worry about."

She sighs, moving her eyes down to her lap, "You don't have to act like you're not scared too. I can see it on your face. You're just trying to seem find for me and the others. It's okay, Thomas. I know the rest of those shuck faces are shit listeners, so, I guess, I'm here for you."

"You guess?" He raises an eyebrow, jokingly.

She grits her teeth, her head shaking, "Don't make me say it again."

"I won't, I won't." He laughs, patting her thigh gently in reassurance before leaping off the branch, not even attempting to climb down safely, "We best get going."

She purses her lips, nodding and dropping beside him, brushing her trousers free of the forest's debris that she'd grown too familiar with over the years. He steps forward to leave, expecting the girl to follow, but instead she wraps her hand softly around his wrist, pulling her back in front of her, Thomas' body whirling round in a fluid motion to face her, "Thought you deserved this." She says quietly.

Her hands raise up to his cheeks, cupping them gently and out of instinct his arms wrap around her waist as their lips connect in a long passionate kiss, his hands massaging her hips while her fingers ran comfortingly through his hair. Both of their hearts stop at the contact. Their cheeks glowing a bright red as they deepen the kiss, causing Evelyn's eyes to snap open and she pushes her hand to his chest, causing them to take a step back form each other, "Gotta go do the plan, yeah?"

She pushes past him and jogs through the woods, her mind blowing up like crazy as she replays what just happened. He stands still for a second, the feel of her lips on his lingering and causing him to crave her touch more, but he knows it will take time for her to fully trust him.