𝒇𝒊𝒗𝒆, optimism

FEAR OF HER.
[ chapter five ]

✧・: *✧・゚:*

EVELYN'S EYES DRIFT OPEN, and for a short moment she just lays still, surprised in herself that she actually fell asleep, but she's soon distracted by Thomas' fidgeting in the hammock beside her.

A nightmare. She thinks as his face crumples up, almost as if he's in pain from what he's seeing. She swings over the side of the hammock, and goes to wake him up but he shoots up, his eyes wide.

Evelyn relaxes slightly, thankful that she didn't have to awake him, "Nightmare?" She says quietly, trying not to wake the other Gladers and his head slowly turns to her, nodding.

"Evelyn!" Minho bellows from the other side of the Glade, motioning for the girl to go to them.

"Shit." She hisses, jumping up and throwing her harness on in a rush, "The one time I actually sleep, and it makes me late."

Thomas watches as she sprints over to Alby, Minho and Newt, all of them scowling at her when she nears them.

"I'm sorry, okay?" She rolls her eyes, used to the boys whines, "I slept for once."

"Overslept." Minho corrects her, his smirk disappearing when she smacks his arm, "Shuckface." He hiss before averting his gaze to Alby, who's just patiently waiting with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Come on." Alby nods his head for us to run in, waving back at Newt, "See you later."

"Don't get killed." The boy with the limp glares at Evelyn, "I'm speaking to you, Eve!"

She flicks him off behind her back before the three runners turn the corner, disappearing into the dimly lit maze, the large doors slamming shut behind them.

"Evelyn, keep your eyes on the look out for Ben, or anything to do with him." Alby instructs, resting his hands in the curves of his harness.

She nods and they turn another corner, all three of them falling into silence while they keep their eyes peeled for any evidence left behind by the stung runner.

"Did Thomas speak to you yesterday after the banishing?" Minho glances back at the girl, breaking the peaceful silence.

"Yeah." She replies, chuckling to herself, "Tried to tell me that I need help."

"You do. Serious help." Minho retorts, laughing and earning a rough shove from the side, making him quickly shut up, "So, I take it he got rejected?"