04

"Sometimes I wish I could drink on shift. It would make things so much easier."

Even though the cabin was full of mostly sleeping passengers, there were still a few that were getting on Juno's nerves enough that drinking seemed to be the only option. Everleigh usually opted for the threat of jumping out of the flying plane with no parachute—to each their own.

"I'll be drinking after this flight. Profusely. You can come with me."

"I thought you were excited to go back home," Juno said, adjusting the bun at the top of her head.

Everleigh held a finger up as she straightened out her skirt after standing up; she'd been restocking the food cart before they did their second lap of the plane for refreshments. "I'm excited to be off work, June."

"It's your birthday, though."

"I don't care. My birthday's when I'm sitting in Vegas for the New Year doing nothing except... gambling."

"Watching burlesque dancers isn't gambling." Everleigh blew a stray piece of hair from out of her eye with the corner of her mouth. She needed a trim.

"I might gamble. At the very least, I'll be drunk. Again, profusely. Because MARS tickets sold out while we were on—"

"Our flight to Berlin a year ago." Juno sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. "Yes, I know. I'm still sorry, but it's still not my fault."

"What was the point in booking that week off if I can't even go see them in person?" Everleigh asked. "Bullshit."

"You could air your frustration out on your sister when you're home, Leigh."

"Florence was out with her stupid boyfriend."

"I thought you liked him?"

"I do I just don't want to hear how fucking happy they are again, it's nauseating." Everleigh made a face. "No man should stop you from getting tickets for your little sister to see her favourite band."

"No, they shouldn't."

"I even gave her my credit card."

"I know." Juno had heard Everleigh's complaints about missing tickets for the last twelve months and had never directly told her to shut up about it, but she had gotten close. This was one of those times she was close.

"Drinking and crying are my Vegas plans."

"Happy birthday to you."

"Sounds like the best birthday ever. Maybe I'll find a Vegas person for my roster."

"Your roster is more world-travelled than a billionaire."

Everleigh bowed. "I'm taking that as a compliment. I do my best."

"I'm sure you do."

"What are you doing for Christmas?"

"I'm working a flight to Yishun, so I'll hopefully stay with mum and dad for a couple days before heading off again. Nothing special. Haven't even bought presents." While Juno had a similar accent to Everleigh's—Juno being from Surrey and Everleigh London—her parents hailed from Singapore. They'd had her in Europe, stayed for a little while, and ultimately moved back to Singapore after not too long in the UK. Everleigh couldn't blame them.

"That sounds cozy."

"I'm hoping my brother and I can hide downstairs and play video games away from everyone." Juno shrugged. "He's been really into The Last of Us and other Naughty Dog games. Think he wants me to playthrough while he watches—and judges."