05

"Leigh!" Troy had this tradition of meeting her outside every time Dawn drove her to the house. It was in the walk to the front door—mainly while Dawn shuttled Everleigh's suitcase into the house—that he told Everleigh what she needed to be caught up on before dealing with the family. She appreciated it every time. Troy hugged her tightly, Everleigh just as tight in return.

"Hi, Pa." Everleigh kissed his cheek. Troy was about to pull away—Everleigh could feel his arms loosening—when she hugged him a little tighter.

Troy's head tried to turn her way, but Everleigh buried her face in his shoulder. "Oh, God, I'm sorry for whatever she said to you in the car."

"You don't have to be." Everleigh still held onto him.

"She's excited. Didn't need to take it out on you. I do have to be sorry."

"Excited about what?"

Troy did pull away that time. "Florence didn't—" He sighed. "You three really need to communicate better. Holy shit."

Everleigh managed a small smile in spite of her worry about whatever the hell her mother was excited about. "Careful, don't let mum hear you say that."

Troy shook his head. "I love your mother, but I've never understood the constant fight against swearing. Fuck is such a perfect descriptor."

"It really is." Everleigh winced. "Dare I ask what's got mum with a boyfriend for me on the brain?"

"I can't believe Florence didn't tell you."

"Florence and I don't talk as often as we pretend, we do."

It wasn't that Everleigh was that mad for missing the MARS tickets. She and Florence had never talked that much. Everleigh was always travelling, and Florence was always working. Even when they were both home, London was five hours ahead of New York—Everleigh didn't have many layovers where she felt like being around Florence and Roman for days. It was self-preservation from hearing some stupid as fuck pet names. (She wanted to drink bleach when she heard Roman say the word "snuffleupagus" romantically.) (Everleigh was pretty sure Roman would've shared her toxic cocktail with her given the look on his face when he realized she'd heard him.)

"She's pregnant." Troy looked toward the house before he looked back to Everleigh. "Looks 'bout ready to pop."

"Are you fucking kidding me?"

"Afraid not."

"She gave mum grandma fever?"

"Afraid so."

"Oh, fuck."

"I'm sorry."

Everleigh sighed. "At least that explains a little."

"I'll talk to your mother tonight. Get her off your back."

"I already told her I'd get a hysterectomy if she asked me about having kids again."

Troy scoffed out a laugh and tried to hide it behind his hand. Everleigh never was used to the D, F, E tattoos on his ring, middle, and index fingers and that day was no exception. "Christ, you're going to give your mother a heart attack."

"I've promised to be on my best behaviour."

"Thank you, Leigh. I appreciate it."