44

Are you coming to Mav's first show in Vegas? It's on New Year's Day. I saw a profile documenting your relationship in the Daily Mail (don't ask, I promise I think they're a bunch of bozos I just get nosey about what people think about my brother) and it said the first time you were spotted together was New Year's Eve at the MARS concert. Second time was the morning after and I don't want to talk about THAT per se but IT COULD BE A COOL HAPPY ONE YEAR TO WHATEVER YOU WERE AT THAT TIME!! (If you weren't actually dating I retract my statement—mom and I don't know when you started dating because he wouldn't shut the hell up about you practically from the moment you switched phones.) Please come to his concert. I've seen the setlist, it's going to be bangin'.

            That was a lot, I'm sorry.

            Are you coming to the New Year's Day show? Mom wants to know because she wants to wear the colours of his album. She damn well died when she saw what you guys wore at the Escape Velocity party and wants to do it for Vegas. I don't want to be the one to break her heart that someone's going to have to look like Sleeping Beauty when the fairies are arguing over what colour her dress should be??? Because Mav chose pink and blue as the only colours??? Unless you want to dress in black and white??? Fuck dude I don't know, mom's on another planet with excitement. It's weird. She did this for the premiere of my first show too and it was embarrassing. (Then again, I'm not above embarrassing Mav.) (Obivously.)

            Now I'm just spewing. I'm sorry. Let me know what you're thinking, little Brit. We can pick you up from the airport if you'd like. We're going to stay in Vegas with him for a couple days.

            hey, Es, i don't think i can make it to vegas. potentially at all. please send pictures? would love to see you and Mags in your pink and blue.

            It took about 11 seconds for Esmé to call Everleigh.

            "God fucking—" Everleigh sighed and picked up the phone. "Hi, Esmé."

            "I know my brother's stupid but whatever he did, you guys are meant for each other."

            "This one's on me," Everleigh said.

            "I think you both think it's your fault and that's dumb," Esmé said. "Have you two spoken since he came back here?"

            "He wished me happy birthday the other day," Everleigh said.

            "I'm going to beat the shit out of him."

            "Please don't."

            "He looks sad and you sound sad and this is all bullshit and not how it's supposed to go."

            "Esmé," Everleigh said. "It's okay."

            "It's not okay, what the fuck?"

            "Esmé—" The hushed, quick tone in the background on her side of the line was clearly Maverick. He sounded like he just woke up. Everleigh was going to be sick that she knew that from a single word. "What are you doing—"

            "I need you to stop being stupid and if that means taking matters into my own hands—"

            "Oh my God, you're talking to Everleigh?"

            "Who else would I phone—"

            "Es, give me the phone."

            "No."

            "Esmé."

            "Kingston." Esmé's voice was mocking. Probably not helping her case. Probably not helping Maverick not be mad at her for meddling in his life.