Chapter 3

"Love and Lies"

2013 Copyright  © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 3       

The plane dipped and Trina grabbed a hold of the armrest, holding on for dear life.  She hated flying.  She hated it with a passion. 

The pilot’s monotonous voice came over the intercom system. “We’re experiencing a little turbulence in the atmosphere. There is a thunderstorm in the area and we may undergo some slight jostling but rest assured, everything is under control.  Please remain calm.  We should arrive at our destination in Greensboro as scheduled.”

Calm!  Yeah, right.  Trina was anything but calm right now.

What she really wanted was to get off this damn plane. 

She wasn’t sure what to expect when she returned home. Everyone had been so angry when she left.  Her mother, Lev and her friends.  None of them could understand her need to get out of that pitiful excuse of a town. 

The back of her seat jumped.  Trina ignored it until it happened again and then again.  Someone was kicking the heck of her seat. 

Tired and frustrated, she lifted up out of her seat and turned around, glaring at a skinny red headed little boy with a face full of red freckles.  He had a cowboy hat on his head and a pair of snake skin boots to match.  When he saw her angry face his foot froze in mid-air.

“Kick my seat again and you’ll lose that foot,” she warned.

The kid’s foot fell back to the ground with a resounding thump.  The grape sucker that he had in his mouth tumbled into his lap.

Satisfied she got her point across she sat back down in her seat and took a breath. 

The kid didn't kick her seat again and thankfully the rest of the plane ride turned out to be non-eventful. 

As she walked down the tunnel that led inside the airport she felt her nerves starting to get the best of her again.  Her palms felt moist as she thought about seeing her mama and Lev after being gone for so long.

On the phone Lev had sounded genuinely excited to hear from her but without seeing him she couldn't be sure if he was acting or being truthful with her. Frankly, she wouldn’t be surprised to see her twin scowling his disapproval when he spotted her. She could even imagine the blistering he would give her ears after the way she left two years ago.  It hadn’t been pretty.  There had been a lot of ugly name calling a lot of accusations and a lot of screaming until she finally left, slamming the door closed behind her. 

For two years she hadn’t spoken to her twin at all.  That changed last night.  And he acted like nothing had ever happened.  Had she really been forgiven?  Could she come home and just pick up where she left off?  She was walking through the terminal, her head down she heard her name being called.

“Katrina?”

She stopped in the center of the terminal and turned to the familiar voice. 

Lev.

He looked the exact same as he had the day that she left.  His dark chestnut hair was cropped short, military style, his oval face still bore its five o’clock shadow and those deep sea-blue eyes were a mirror replica of her own.

It was like nothing else even mattered.  She dropped her carryon bag in the center of the terminal and took off running towards his outstretched arms.

Their bodies collided and his big, muscular arms came around her, holding her tightly against his chest.

He smelled like home.