Chapter 6

“Love and Lies”

2013 Copyright  © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 6

The tremors started in her fingers first before quickly working their way up her arms and down the rest of her body. She couldn’t stop the shaking. How had it all come down to this? How could she have let this happen to Joe?

Unable to look at the image any longer, Trina turned her head away and closed her eyes. She could feel the heat of Trevor’s intense gaze on her but she didn’t dare lift her head. He wanted answers and she didn’t know what to say.

She was so ashamed. If she’d used her head, saw the signs or maybe just listened to Joe for once then it would have never come down to this. She would’ve saw Aaron for the monster that he really was. Now, it was too late.

“Talk to me, Katrina. What the hell does this mean? Who is this? What the hell is going on?”

Trina started to shake her head from side to side. The tears wouldn’t stop falling. She couldn’t find her words.

She hadn’t been home a day and it was already happening again. She was going to end up hurting her family again, her friends. It wasn’t supposed to be like this.

There was only one thing she could do. She had to go back. She had to protect her family, her friends, Joe. She was going to have to go back to Aaron.

Slowly, she started to back up towards the steps. She still couldn’t bring herself to look at Trevor or anyone else in the room for that matter. She didn’t want to face anyone. All she wanted to do was get the hell out of here before Lev or anyone else that she cared for saw what was really going on.

“I’m sorry,” she apologized quickly, bending down to pick up her phone. Without looking at the screen she stuffed it back in her purse and continued to make her way towards the steps. “I’m sorry,” she apologized again, “but I shouldn’t have come back. I... I just can’t stay here any longer.”

For the briefest of seconds she raised her head and locked gazes with Trevor. His expression was hard and unrelenting. She opened her mouth to say something but no sound came out. Her mind blanked and at that singular moment all she could think about was that she had to get out of this room. She was suffocating. She had to get away from all these people. She had to get away from Trevor.

Spinning around, Trina hit the stairs running. She dashed to the top and then ran straight for her room, slamming the door closed behind her. Gasping for breath, she collapsed against the door and tried to make herself think. Now that she knew what she had to do, what she needed was a game plan. She refused to go back to Aaron with her tail tucked between her legs. Her eyes were wide open now and if he thought for one minute that she’d been the same meek little country girl from North Carolina that he remembered, he was in for one helluva a rude awakening.

First things first. She needed to get out of here on the first red eye flight that she could book. After seeing what happened to Joe, Trina knew that coming back here had been a mistake of colossal proportions.  Aaron wasn’t the type of man to lie around and just accept being dumped. He was the type of man that actually did the dumping.

She glanced over at her bed and breathed a small sigh of relief. Luckily, her suitcase was still sitting there open where she hadn’t even fully unpacked yet. All she needed to do was grab her things from the bathroom and get the hell out of here.

Picking herself up off the door she started for the bathroom. She gathered her shampoo and conditioner from the shower, her makeup bag and hair brush from the sink and the sandals she wore home off the floor. She gave the small bathroom a sweeping look to make sure that she had everything.