Chapter 12

“Love and Lies”

2013 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 12

It was several hours later before Trina was finally released from the hospital.  The ride home was ironically quiet considering all the talking that went on back in the hospital room. 

Well, actually it was a lot like Trevor, Lev and the detective doing all the talking while she was stuck doing all the listening.  She wasn’t sure if they thought she might break or what.  Another hour stuck in the godforsaken room with those three men and she would’ve gone crazy.

Even now, while she stared out the window she could feel both Trevor and Lev’s eyes intermittently on her.

Not that she’d ever admit it to them but the truth of the matter was she did feel broken.  She felt like she was broken into hundreds of tiny little shards that she didn’t know how or even where to begin to put it all back together again.

Between the accident and what happened to Joe she was scared. She was scared of the fear.  The fear of the unknown.  Fear of Aaron and what he may do next. 

Hurt her?  Hurt her family?  Her friends?

She just didn’t know and that’s what bothered Trina the most.  She felt her eyes begin to tear up and some of that choking fear started to turn into anger.

She was angry that one man could have so much control over her life.  A little over a week ago she was planning to spend the rest of her life with this man.

Then the truth came out.  His transgressions were exposed and now that Trina’s eyes were wide open, she left him.

And now the bastard wants to punish her for leaving him by taking away her life?  Her friends?  Her sense of security?

“Oh, Hell no!”

Lev jerked his head around and stared back at Trina with nothing but concern etched on his face. 

"Excuse me?”

At first she didn’t realize that she had spoken aloud.  Out the corner of her eyes she caught Trevor glancing back at her through the rear view mirror.  Both of them were staring at her like she was one fry short of a happy meal.

She sniffed and repeated herself again, this time adding a confidence that she didn’t know she had.  “I said hell no. I’ll be damned if I’m just going to sit back and hide.  Not anymore.  I’m not going to let Aaron take anything else from me. One way or the other I’m going to nail this bastard to the wall once and for all.”

They stopped at a red light and Trevor once again was watching Trina through the rear-view mirror.  Their gazes locked and she could see his unspoken support by the crooked tilt of his lips.

She returned his smile and turned back to the window, watching the trees flash by.  She could feel her backbone getting stronger by the second.  She didn’t want to live in fear.  She refused to let Aaron steal her sense of security and she damned sure wouldn’t let him break her.

She was a survivor and she was determined to do what survivors were supposed to do- she would live.

****

Trevor pulled into the drive of her mother’s home.  Before he could put the car in park Joe was running down the porch and heading towards the car.  She stopped just outside of the passenger door where Trina was sitting.

Trina was still sore and her movements restricted and slow.  Lev jumped out and walked around to the other side of the car, opening the door for her.  Very gently, he helped her out of the car.