Chapter 14

“Love and Lies”

2013 Copyright All Rights reserved

Chapter 14
Trina couldn't sit still. All day long she'd replayed that stupid phone conversation in her head over and over. She remembered every detail, even down to the ugly sneer in Aaron's voice. The threats, both the spoken and the unspoken ones. And finally his demand that she return to him. He had acted like she was nothing more than another one of his prized possessions.

Her stomach clenched in a tight knot and she had to force herself to breathe. She wasn't anyone's possession, least of all Aaron's. She was a human being and she had free will. She wasn't going anywhere near him again and there was nothing he could do about it. 

Frustrated, she closed her eyes. She still couldn't understand how she could have been so close to someone and not really know what kind of person they really were? She had been so blinded by his charm that she couldn't see through all of his lies. 

It didn't matter. She was seeing pretty damn clear now. She was seeing what kind of horrible person Aaron Wright really was and she'd washed her hands of him. She didn't want anything to do with that type of man whatsoever. 

Her best bet was to hope like hell that the detective would get the evidence he needed from the accident and put Aaron behind bars for a very long time. 

"There you go. Your thinking too hard again."

Startled, she turned her head and glanced in Trevor's direction. They were in his car and going on their first 'official date'. That's what he kept calling it anyway. She didn't know where they were going and when she asked again, he still refused to tell her.

"What makes you say that?" she asked him.

Keeping one hand on the steering wheel, Trevor reached over with his other hand and gently squeezed her thigh. Her breath hitched when she felt the warmth of his touch seep past the material of her jeans. 

"You get this expression on your face… it's like a frown with the corner of your lips turned down and a wrinkle on your forehead. There," he said, "like that. Look in the mirror. You're doing it now." 

"I am not," Trina replied, a little petulantly. Instead of looking in the mirror she turned her attention back to the passenger side window and tried her best to ignore the scorching heat his touch was searing her with.

"Come on, little bit. Where's that beautiful smile of yours?" he teased and lightly squeezed her leg again. When she continued to ignore him he let out a long, drawn out sigh. "Is this all because I won't tell you where we're going?" 

Trina still wouldn't look at him. "You know how much I hate surprises," she grumbled under her breath.

"Yeah, yeah. So you've said. I'm not taking you to a funeral you know." He leaned over and turned up the radio just a bit; keeping it low enough so they could still talk and hear each other. She tried to be inconspicuous and peek out of the corner of her eyes to see what he was doing. They were at a red light and Trevor caught her trying to look at him. He inched his hand a hair higher until it rested in the crook of her pelvis. A wave of heat rushed to her core. She wanted him to move his hand down and to the side just a little more…

He flashed one of his charismatic smiles her way as if he knew exactly what she was thinking.

Trina's cheeks filled with color. . 

"You'll like it," he said in a sing-song voice. "That much I can promise you."

"Humph, I guess well just have to see about that," she grumbled while crossing her arms stubbornly over her chest. She knew that she looked a lot like a sulky teenager, but right now she just didn't have it in her to care. 

She really did hate surprises.

He chuckled, but didn't say anything else. The rest of the ride remained fairly quiet and Trina really had no earthly idea where they were going. They were driving in the middle of nowhere and she hadn't seen a sign since they left the county line.

Forty-five minutes later they finally pulled up in front of a large lake. She'd thought when Trevor said date that he meant dinner and a movie or maybe even dancing. Not a deserted lake.

Confused, she scratched her head and glanced around. Was she missing something? 

"Okay…" she muttered, wondering what was going through Trevor's head. 

He was watching her and grinned at her confusion. "You'll like it," he promised, opening the driver side door and stepping outside of the car. "Just wait and see."

He pushed the door close and being a true southern gentleman Trevor walked around to Trina's side of the car and opened the door for her. Standing there with nothing but the light of the full moon highlighting his perfect body he held out his hand to her. She sucked in a breath. Her mouth went dry. 

Damn, the man was gorgeous. He wore a pair of tight-fitting black jeans and a black button up dress shirt with the top two buttons left undone. A soft patch of hair was visible on his chest and her fingers ached to touch it.

Trevor cleared his throat. She jerked at the reminder that he was waiting for her. Embarrassed that she'd been caught staring at him she dropped her gazed to his hand and this time she didn't hesitate to take it.

Trevor helped her out of the car and then silently led her down to the dock where a small house boat that she hadn't seen earlier had been anchored. She noticed a flicker of light glowing through one of the back windows.

Trevor glanced over at Trina and shot her a catty grin. 

"What's that?" she gestured towards the house boat.

"You'll see." He tugged on her hand, but she didn't budge. 

"Come on, little bit. This is my surprise."

She put her hand on her hip. What in the world was so special about a boat? 

"Your surprise is a boat?"

"That's part of it," he agreed, and tugged on her hand again, pulling her towards the floating craft. 

They stepped on the boat and the first thought that ran through Trina's mind was how beautiful it was outside. It was dark and the lake surrounding them was remarkably quiet with the exception of a few chirping crickets. The moon light glinted off the water providing an awe-inspiring reflection of the woods. She may not be a fan of living in a small town, but this… this is something that she would never forget. The ethereal beauty of nature untouched.

Turning around she saw Trevor watching her. His face was blank, and she wondered what he was thinking. Curiosity getting the better of her, she finally asked. "What are we doing here?" 

His lips curled up into a breath-taking grin. "Patience, sweetheart. All will be revealed in due time." 

He started walking again and she followed him until he released her hand. He walked into what she thought might be a cabin and left the door open. When she didn't follow him he came back to the door and crooked his finger at here. 

"Come here," he instructed.

She looked at him and raised her brows. 

He gave her the puppy dog look. The one where he frowned and his eyes got big. The same one that she could never resist.