Chapter 19

"Love and Lies"

2013 All Copyrights Reserved

Chapter 19

Trina walked down familiar halls of the hospital. She was still holding on to hope.  Hope that Joe would wake up.  It had been three long weeks since she was first admitted and every day she faithfully returned to her bed side waiting for a miracle.  The doctors remained skeptical about a full recovery but she had to believe.  Joe was a fighter and she knew that she would pull through this.

 Over the last three weeks Trina tried hard to not think about Aaron.  He was finally behind bars where he belonged thanks to his old buddy Kell, of all people.  He decided to testify against him in a plea bargain.

Hopefully, that’s where he would stay.

Trevor squeezed her hand as they turned down the hall that Joe’s room was on.  He was her rock through this whole ordeal and if it hadn’t been for him, she would have fallen apart the second that she realized Joe had been shot.

 Amidst all the chaos of the past few weeks a startling revelation occurred to Trina. 

She loved him.  She loved him with every beat of her heart.  Every time he glanced in her direction, her body responded to him.   

She just needed to find the right way to tell him.

Approaching her door they noticed it was partially opened. Trina could hear a low murmur and held out her hand, stopping Trevor in his tracks.  She recognized the voice.  It was Lev. 

“Joe, please wake up.  I want the chance to get to know you better.  There are so many things that I want do with you. Please, wake up.”

Tears filled her eyes.  He really cared for her too.  They all wanted Joe to wake up.  She took the bullet that was meant for Trina and if she doesn’t make it, she didn’t even want to think about what might happen.

Slowly, she inched away from the door wanting to give her brother some privacy.  This was a private moment and she felt like an intruder listening to his conversation. 

Trevor took one look at her face and pulled her into his arms.  That was the moment she lost it.  She cried for Joe.  She shed tears for her brother’s broken heart.  She wept because of all the damage that Aaron caused, but mostly, she finally cried for herself.

“Hey, it’s going to be okay,” he crooned. “You’ll see, sweetheart.  Joe will pull through and everything will soon be back to normal.”

She wanted so badly to believe him but it was so damn hard right now.  All she could cope with was the tangible and right now, Trevor holding her in his arms was the tangible. She tightened her arms around his waist.  Her sexy cowboy was the one thing that was holding her together.

“Am I interrupting something?”

They both turned to see Lev standing outside the door with his hands in his pockets.  He looked like hell.

Trevor took the lead. “No change?”  

Lev shook his head and looked down at the floor. 

Trina pulled away from Trevor and ran to her brother.  She wrapped her arms around him, needing to comfort him the way that Trevor had comforted her. 

She heard his breath hitch and her heart bled for him.  He felt so guilty.  He blames himself for Joe getting shot.

She cursed Aaron again.  He hurt so many people.  She strengthened her hold around him while they stood together in the cold hall.  She would stand there forever if that’s what Lev needed from her.