Chapter 15

"Love and Lies"

2013 Copyrights All Rights Reserved

 Chapter 15

’I love you.’

Trina’s eyes flew open as she remembered what Trevor said as she started to fall asleep. Even now, laying here in the light of the day she still couldn’t believe it. He really said that he loved her.

At first she thought that maybe she'd dreamed it all but now that she was awake, she knew better.  She clearly remembered him whispering those three earth-shattering words in her ear.  

‘I love you.’  That’s what he said to her.

Oh hell… What was she supposed to say to that?  How did she respond?  Did she love him back?  She was certain that she cared for him but after everything that she’d been through with Aaron could she honestly look him in the eyes and say that she loved him?

“You’re doing it again?”

At the sound of Trevor’s husky voice Trina stiffened in his arms.  For a moment she almost panicked.  Her tongue suddenly felt heavy in her mouth and coherent words completely eluded her.  “I…”

Trevor sat up and quickly flipped her over on her back.  Using his elbows he held himself up and hovered over her. “You’re thinking too hard again,” he told her with a small frown on his face. “And I bet I know what you are thinking about. Quit fretting.  I don't need you to say it back. I’m not looking for a declaration from you or anything like that…I just wanted you to know how I felt.  That’s all,” he said solemnly.

She searched his stormy grey eyes for any sign of disappointment because she couldn’t find the words that she knew he wanted so badly to hear.  Trevor has been nothing but good to her since she came home and the last thing she wanted to do was hurt him especially after the special night they shared together. But even knowing the way he felt about her didn’t change the fact that she knew she wasn’t ready to say those words yet. 

Maybe with time she would be able to return the sentiment but not right now.  Aaron’s betrayal was still a raw wound that hadn’t yet had time to heal. 

She needed some time.  Time and some space to figure everything out.    

Relaxing marginally in Trevor’s arms she glanced up at him.  He was staring down at her with so much adoration that it literally stole her breath.  This big man who was so sincere and honest really did love her for the woman that she has become. 

She gasped. The reality of the situation slowly started to sink in. The longer they stared at each other the more she realized that she was in fact starting to fall in love with the handsome man holding her so strongly in his arms. 

Sensing her turmoil Trevor leaned in and took her lips in a desperate kiss.  Raising her arms she wrapped them around his neck and kissed him back with everything that she had in her.  Anything so she wouldn’t have to tell him the truth.  Not yet anyway.

She didn’t think she could show her true feelings until she was sure that her fragile heart wouldn’t be in danger of being broken again. 

For now, the best she could do was showing him how she felt.  Using her body she would show him how much she cared and that would have to be enough.  She just wasn’t ready to give her heart away so soon.

*****

Two hours later they were both back in the car and headed home.  Few words were since they finally pulled themselves from the bed.  After their one-sided discussion they’d made passionate love with a fury that she couldn’t explain.  When it was over their bodies both slicked with sweat, he sat up, tenderly kissed her forehead and then without another word he proceeded to get dressed.