Chapter 10

“Love and Lies”

2013 Copyright © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 10

“You’re up.” Trina carefully set the pitcher of beer down on the table and smiled at Trevor. He was looking mighty fine, standing there a cocky expression plastered on his face and his hands tucked in his pockets. He peered up at her with his head lowered and in the low light of the bowling alley she got a good look at his five o'clock shadow.

“Great,” she exclaimed and happily skipped down to the top of the lane. “Now, it’s time for me to show you guys how an expert knocks down some pins in this town.”

“Ha, you,” Lev teased, “an expert?” He chuckled and shook his head. “Only in your dreams Trina girl, only in your dreams.”

“Hey,” she shot back, picking up her purple and gold swirl bowling ball. “You're just jealous of my mad skills, that’s all.”

“Me,” he scoffed, “Jealous of you? Now that has to be the funniest thing I’ve heard all year little sister. Make no mistake; your skills are no match for mine. Remember, I’m the one who taught you to play this game in the first place. I wasn’t stupid, you know. I didn’t teach you everything.”

“I think that I smell a bet coming on,” Trevor cut in.

“A bet,” Joe turned to look a Lev. “Now you’re talking my kind of game.”

Trina jutted out her hip. “Exactly what kind of bet are we talking about here?”

“The good kind,” Trevor said mischievously. “If Lev and Joe wins, then you and I have to take them out to dinner.”

“And not one of those fast food joints like Burger King,” Lev said. “I want something where we go in, we get waiting on and can have all the fruity drinks our hearts desire.”

“Okay,” Trina said slowly. “But what happens if Trevor and I win. What do we get?”

“I get to take you home with me tonight,” Trevor said boldly, staring at his friend. “And I won’t catch any shit from it either.”

Trina’s mouth dropped. It was hanging so low that she could just about mop the floor with it. She couldn’t believe that he’d bring that up right here, right now and in front of Lev.

“I don’t think...” she started and was abruptly cut off by an unsmiling Lev.

All his good humor from before was completely gone and now he just looked determined. “You're on,” he snapped bitterly.

“Uh oh,” Joe covered her mouth with her hand and glanced over at Trina. “I think I smell T-R-O-U-B-L-E.”

“Great,” Trevor clapped his hands and rubbed them together anxiously. “Let’s get started then. Trina, sweetheart, you’re up first.”

Holding the ball in her hand, Trina wasn’t too sure about this bet anymore. She saw the look on her brother’s face and knew that he was not happy about the terms. He’d never been a fan of her boyfriends in the past and she imagined that the last thing Lev would ever want is his best friend bedding his little sister. He would do whatever he had to in order to win this game.

Slowly letting out a breath, Trina moseyed over to the top of the lane.

“Go get em’ little bit,” Trevor encouraged from the side. “You got this.”

Holding the ball eye level she did her best to block out everything that was going on around her. She didn’t know what kind of stunt Trevor was trying to pull with this bet he came up with and at the moment she wasn’t happy with him at all. She was a competitor though and no matter the stakes she would fight to the end.