Chapter 16

"Love and Lies"

2013 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 16

Finally, the house came into view and Trina felt her spirits drop because that meant their first official date was now officially over.

Trevor parked the car and turned the ignition, cutting the car off.  “What’s wrong?” he immediately asked.

Trina stared at the house.  “Nothing really.  I suppose all good things have to come to an end.”

“That’s not necessarily true,” he whispered. 

She jumped when she realized that his face was just a breath away from hers. 

“It’s nothing,” she told him again. “I’ll be fine.”

“Are you sure about that?”

She smiled at him.  “Yeah, I am. She caressed his cheek.  “Don’t worry about me.  I’ll be fine.  What I want most right now is coffee and a shower.  Not necessarily in that order.”

“That, I think we can do.” Leaning over the seat, he brushed another kiss against her lips and then quickly pulled back.  Her lips stuck out in a pout.  “Come on,” he told her.  “If I don’t get you out of this car now then I may end up dragging you to the back seat with me.”

She raised her brow.  “And that’s supposed to be a bad thing?”

He glanced over at the porch.  “With your brother standing right there, I’d say it’s a bad thing.”

“Aw crap,” she mumbled.  “He doesn’t look happy, does he?”

Trevor shook his head.  “Nope.  He doesn’t.  Let’s go sweetheart.  Time to face the music.”

She opened up the door and stepped out of the car. Trevor did the same.  They both walked up to the porch, hand in hand, ignoring Lev’s scowl.

“Good morning, Lev.” Trina said as they walked past him and into the house.

The door slammed hard behind them.  “It’s about damn time you two decided to make an appearance.  I was this close,” he said, measuring his thumb and forefinger about an inch apart to calling the detective to report you both missing.”

“We’re grown adults, Lev.  We spent the night off.  Deal with it.”

“Deal with it!” he yelled incredulously.  “The bastard tried to run you off the road, Trina.  I was worried.  You said you were going on a date.  I expected you to come home.  When you didn’t, I…damn it, Trina!” he cursed.  “When no one answered the phone last night I thought maybe something happened to you. I was worried out of my mind.”

Trina suddenly felt bad. Lev had a point.

“Lay off of her man,” Trevor interjected.  “She’s had a tough week, okay?”

Lev’s head snapped in Trevor’s direction.  “Lay off of her?  For all I knew she could have been dead in a ditch somewhere and you want me to lay off it?”

“She wasn’t in a ditch.  She was with me.  I won’t let anything happen to her. I told you that.”

“Yeah, like last time you took my sister off for the night?  She ended up in the hospital with a dislocated shoulder. She could have died then too.”

“Do you really want to do this right here, right now?”

“Actually, I would love to, but I can’t.”