Chapter Ten

To say that Ian felt like an asshole would be an understatement. He felt worse than that. He felt like a monster. Throughout the entire week he ignored Skylar, only speaking to her when he had to give her an assignment. He knew that he was being a jerk. She didn't deserve to be given the cold shoulder by him. But he just couldn't bring himself to go back to the way they used to be.

After being informed about Jason, how she had basically hooked up with him, he had been very angry. The thought of her being in the arms of another man made him a very unpleasant person to be around. 

It had also made him realize that he couldn't keep on holding in his true feelings. 

It was that that made him push her away. Not her being kissed by Jason, because that wasn't her fault.

He knew that if he let himself get too close he would end up slipping up. Ian didn't want that because he knew Skylar wouldn't take that too well. She would probably quit the internship and cut all ties with him. He didn't want that.

It was Friday, and her classes ended early. So when Skylar was going to go get lunch and relax, she encountered a familiar pink-haired girl waiting for her outside the building.

"Cindy," Skylar said, surprised to see the girl.

"Hi!" Cindy mused. "You wanna go get coffee with me?"

"Sure," Skylar agreed.

And so they ended up in the same café where they had first met. They sat across from each other. Cindy didn't say anything at first, instead she just looked at her as if in deep thought, nodding her head from time to time. Skylar was very confused.

But finally she spoke.

"So Jason told me what happened between you two," she confessed. "Don't be mad at him. I pried it out of him because I noticed he seemed pretty down."

Oh.

"I'm not mad," Skylar said. "You two are friends. I get it."

"I get it that you don't like him back the same way," Cindy said. "He mentioned that you like someone, and I just want to know why you're not with him."

That was a question that had many answers to. Because he was older than her. Because he was her boss. Because he didn't like her back. Because she didn't wan to ruin their friendship. If they even had one seeing as how he had been treating her lately.

She just said, "It's complicated."

Cindy raised an eyebrow. "And why is that, hun?"

"I really don't want to get into it," she explained.

Cindy sighed. "I get that you and I haven't known each other for long. But you need to open to someone. Someone that you trust. Whomever that may be. Keeping sorrows to yourself usually doesn't end well. Trust me, I know."

When she arrived at her apartment, Skylar decided to call Kyle on Skype seeing as how she still had a few more hours until she had to start heading over to her internship. Cindy was right, she did need to talk to someone. And that person was her best friend.

A wide-grinned Kyle answered the call and waved dramatically. "Sky!"

She laughed. "Hey, Kyle!" she mused.

"What is the purpose of this call?" he asked. "You haven't communicated with me in over a week, I was starting to get worried."

"I know," she said. "I'm sorry. I've just been really busy."