Chapter Thirty-Five

PLEASE CHECK OUT AN ITALIAN LOVE AFFAIR & IS THIS HAPPINESS

Chapter Thirty-Five

It had been a while since Skylar had attended a wedding. The last time had been for one of her sister's wedding. She and Ian had been together at the time. The bachelorette party had ended up with her getting drunk, then having Ian pick her up because she really wasn't having a good time being drunk off her butt. And she'd also met Gregg after years of successfully avoiding him. That had called for Ian breaking his nose, and then some steamy lovemaking that had ended up with Skylar being impregnated. Then a breakup, then a miscarriage, then some more emotional moments. Quite a ride, actually.

None of that was going to happen for Kyle and Sarah's wedding, thankfully.

For her bachelorette party, Sarah had not wanted to do much. So instead of male strippers, clubs, and countless alcoholic beverage, they'd gone to a spa, then a fancy restaurant, and then a romantic comedy. And by "they", that just included Sarah, Skylar, a sister of hers named Angelica, and a cousin named Gina. Turned out that Sarah didn't have a lot of female friends, but that was okay.

It had been a pretty tame night.

Kyle had had his own bachelor's party, where, yes, a lot of his friends had joined him, including Ian. Knowing that he was in town made Skylar's insides warm up. Knowing that she would be seeing him in a matter of hours made her feel nervous to the point where she kind of wanted to throw up.

Being the maid of honor meant that she would be spending some time with Ian, who was the best man. It kind of sucked to have fallen in love with the cousin of her best friend. That was bound to lead to unavoidable moments of awkwardness.

It wasn't even her wedding day, and she was already feeling butterflies. There was no reason for her to be more nervous than the bride herself. She just had to suck it up and deal with it. She was a grown woman after all. They were both adults that could act like exactly what they were.

Skylar's dress was pale pink that Sarah had picked out for her bridesmaids. It wasn't super shirt, falling two inches above her knee. The sweetheart neckline made the dress even better. She loved dresses, and this one was a keeper. Her hair fell down in soft curls making the balayage look she'd gone for recently look even better. Minimum makeup was required, and none of the bridesmaids wanted to upstage the bride either way.

"You nervous?" she asked Sarah.

The bride looked at her with the calmest of looks. "No. All my life I dreamed of my wedding day, it's finally here. There's no reason to be nervous at all. I am the happiest person right now!"

If only she could steal a bit of her confidence to use on her own.

Turned out that going through an entire wedding ceremony while your ex is in close proximity wasn't that hard. Sure, she was so tempted to look at him, but her best friend was getting married. She couldn't have been happier for Kyle and Sarah. They were perfect for each other. Opposite personalities, but perfect nonetheless.

Skylar had always thought that Kyle would never settle down. She had thought she'd already be married and have two children by the time Kyle married someone. She had been wrong. Oh, so wrong. No, he was the one getting married. She was the one as single as ever, still in love with a man she had not seen in a long time. There was no way to have predicted her life would turn out that way.

Kyle and Sarah both said "I do" and they were officially husband and wife.

And Skylar was tearing up.