Chapter 6

OLIVER

----------------------------

It's lunch and by now I've made it outside and am sitting under my favourite tree in the courtyard. It's tucked away from people and it's quiet, so I like to eat my lunch and read romance books here. Looking up at the sky and watching the clouds roll by, I put in my earbuds and play my favourite artist, Cavetown. The song 'Boys will be bugs' plays and I can't help but laugh out loud about how right the title is. 

Closing my eyes, I rest my head against the tree and hum quietly to the tune of the songs. My mind unconsciously drifts to Kendall. What would happen between us? What about heat season? Never mind, I don't want to think about that. Ew. Even if he wanted to mate with me I wouldn't let him. I've heard stories about heat going unattended though.. my mother used to tell me a horror story about a girl who once died because her so-called 'mate' refused to help her. What an asshole.  My mother regrets telling me that story because when she did, I cried for months. I mean, who would want a mate after hearing that?

And then my mind goes to a place that little me would have never dreamed it would go.

What if he rejects me? What if.. what if he realizes that he doesn't want a mate at all? I mean, I know he doesn't like me, but I always thought he would get over it and we'd love each other. What if he doesn't. What would happen to me then? I heard once that getting rejected was the most painful thing any one could go through. Hopefully those are just rumors though.

I'm snapped out of my thoughts as the very last person I wanted to see starts speaking. I didn't even hear him coming, like usual. I pause my music and take out an earbud to listen to whatever crap he has to say to me. Probably one of the worst decisions I ever made. 

We make eye contact and for a moment, my whole world stops. Yes, I hate him. That doesn't mean I can't find him attractive though.

"I, Future Alpha, Kendall Killian, reject you, Oliver Reed, as my mate."

I jinxed it

A searing pain ripped it's way through every bone, muscle and tendon in my body. I couldn't hold back my screams. I scream and I scream, as the pain continues until it reaches my heart.

Have you ever thought about death? And what it would be like to die? Well I have. This is probably what it's like to die. Your mind goes blank, not a thought swirls through your now empty brain, you can't remember who you are, where you live, or what's happening. In fact, you can't think at all. You can't hear, see, feel...there's just nothing. A black, empty void that used to be you.

And I accept it. I accept that this is my fate. I accept that for the rest of my life.. I'll be alone (if I live through this). Alone and old and wrinkly. Sitting on my front porch as I watch Kendall and his new and better mate, take their grandchildren to the park. His mate would be beautiful. Gorgeous, endless blue eyes, long brown hair that reaches her waist, the perfect amount of belly rolls on her dark chocolate skin. Just perfect. And then there's me. A lame excuse of a mate. I could never reach her heights. There could be no way I would ever come as close to being as attractive as her. And the saddest part is.. I don't think she even exists. 

---------------------------------

Light. 

There's a light in this room.

Wait.

I can see?

My vision is blurry and my ears are ringing, but I'm awake. I'm alive. I don't know if this is a good, or a bad thing. 

Slowly I sit up, rubbing my head as I do so. I can make out a few things in the room. I guess I don't have my glasses on. Looking to either side of me, I think I notice something similar to the shape of my glasses, so I reach over to grab them. To my delight, (note the sarcasm) it's not my glasses, but the plug to my heart monitor. How did I mix those up? I don't know. Since I tugged on the cord, it came unplugged. Which means I am now curled under the hospital blankets, trying (and failing) to cover my ears from the obnoxious blare as the monitor flattens.

I hear the door swing open and people rushing in. I'm not sure if there's more than one, but there's definitely footsteps. They seem to calm down once they realize I'm alive, so I gain enough confidence to peek my head out of the covers, just enough to get a little look. As it turns out, there's only one person in the room. From their figure, they seem to be a fairly short woman, which gives me some comfort. The woman takes a few attentive steps towards me, and when she's sure I'm okay, she reaches over to the table and hands me my real glasses. They look nothing like a cord. 

Sliding them on, I take a look at my surroundings. As I guessed, it's a hospital room. But I don't think it's a normal one. There are beautiful paintings of wolves around the room and hard wood floors. Not regular hospital flooring I would assume. 

The woman clears her throat and I turn to look at her. Don't get me wrong, I'm as gay as one can be. But even I can say that she was absolutely stunning. And I mean it. She's not in a doctor/nurse uniform, so I can assume she's not one. She has light blue skinny jeans that hugged her thighs nicely, a tan cardigan that flowed a little past her knees, and a plain white t-shirt underneath. Casual, but cute. Her hair was black and down to her butt, and her green eyes were very pretty too. 

She smiled softly. "Hi hun, are you okay? Would you like me to get anything?" Even her voice was pretty.

I awkwardly clear my throat and look down at my bedsheets, fiddling with my fingers. "I-I'm okay right now.." I look back up at her and return the smile. "Thank you, though"

She smiled back and began to walk towards the door. "No problem. I'll be back with hot chocolate" She winked and closed the door before I could protest.

I had no idea where I am, or who that lady is.. but I feel at home here.

-------------------------