Chapter 9

OLIVER

---------------------------

Luna closes the door and I cuddle back up under the blankets. I didn't really think through saying yes to staying. What about Kendall? He lives here so wouldn't be be at dinner? Luna doesn't even know we were mates. I plan on keeping it that way. It would be easier for everyone.

I decide to take a quick nap before dinner, but as I'm getting comfortable I hear the door creak open softly. Little footsteps hit the floor until I feel the bed dip down. Peeking out from the covers, I see a little girl. She looks to be around six years old, and she's undoubtedly Kendall's little sister. Her brown hair was tied into two pigtails, and she had pink unicorn pajama's on. 

She looked at me with her big brown doe eyes as I sat up. "Hi!" She squealed.

I smile at her. "Hello."

She giggles and crawls closer to me, sitting on my legs. "Wanna play with me?"

"Sure. What are we playing?"

"Hmmmm" She sticks her tongue out and thinks for a little while. Her face lights up when she comes up with an idea. "My daddy always plays tickle monster with me. Can we play that?" 

She's too adorable to say no to. I nod, "IIIIII'mmmm gonna get ya!" I reach over to grab her.

She screams and rolls around on the bed as I tickle her. "NO NO! PLEASE!"

 Our mutual laughter fills the air accompanied with her screams, until I decide that I've tortured her enough. She lays like a starfish on my bed, arms out and panting. All of a sudden she jumps up again with a huge smile. "Again?"

Before I can say yes, the door opens and in walks her mom. "Are you bothering him Aniya?" She puts her arms on her hips in a playful manner. 

Aniya giggles and jumps off the bed to run to her mother. "No mummy. We were playing tickle monster!"

Luna smiles and glances up at me. "Maybe you can continue after dinner, okay?" 

Aniya pouts, crossing her arms and I almost laugh. It's really cute. "I want to keep playing though"

Luna crouches down to her daughters height and whispers, "I made chicken noodle soouup"

Aniya's face lights back up and she runs out of the room screaming "Yay!" at the top of her lungs.

Luna and I both laugh. "I'm sorry about her Oliver. She can be a handful sometimes."

I smile as I slowly climb out of the bed. "That's alright. I like her"

----------------------------

I find a seat at the dining room table. There's a beautiful chandelier over top of a dark wooden table. The chairs are a white cloth that stand out beautifully. The table is set with bowls of soup that smell absolutely delicious. Everything was perfect. Until Kendall walked in. He looked normal, greeting his mother and ruffling his sisters hair, until he saw me. Then everything went downhill. 

"Mom."

His mother peeked her head out from behind a wall, presumably leading to the kitchen. "Yeah?"

His eyes never left me as I nervously fidgeted with my napkin. "What's he doing here"

Luna looked confused. "What do you mean? Oliver?" She looked back and forth between us as she walked into the dining room carrying a bowl of buttered bread. "He's staying with us until he heals. Tragic story really. His mate rejected him, and a boy from your school found him passed out underneath a tree. Brought him straight to us. Nice kid. I think his name was Jeremiah? Do you know him?" She explained as she put Aniya into her booster seat and sat down herself. 

All Kendall did was shake his head no. 

An awkward silence followed his head shake until someone knocked on the door. Kendall stood up from his seat and went to open it.

"Are you expecting a guest Dal?" He said a quick 'Yes' in response to his mother.

He walked back into the dining room as his father returned from the bathroom, taking his seat at the end of the table. A blonde haired girl was following Kendall and she took a seat right beside me, as Kendall sat across from me. 

"Oh, who's this?" The Alpha questioned.

Kendall cleared his throat, "Mother, father, this is my mate Layla." 

The whole table went silent, but Aniya kept fooling around with her noodles. My vision seemed to spin as I processed what he just said. He has a new mate already. A better mate. A girl mate. I was right. She was beautiful. Her blonde hair was cut to her shoulders and she had these perfect blue eyes that reflected everything she looked at. He did good.

The Alpha was the first to break the uncomfortable silence. "Ahem" He cleared his throat before continuing, "Let's not let this food get cold." He nervously laughed and his wife joined him. The rest of the meal was eaten in silence, only the sound of spoons clattering against bowls and glasses being placed on the table.

------------------------------

"Alright let's get this table cleared. John, would you please go brush Aniya's teeth?"

The alpha nodded and carried a giggling Aniya to the bathroom. 

"I'll help clear the table if you want Luna" I offered.

"Oh thank you dear. And please, call me Akela." She smiled and we carried bowls and glasses back to the kitchen to load into the dishwasher. Half way through, Kendall joined and began helping us as well. Our arms brushed against each other occasionally, and my blood ran cold each time. There were no more sparks. Nothing at all.

Whenever our arms touched, I couldn't help but notice Layla glaring at me. She seemed jealous. By the time we finished it was 8:30pm. I was about to make my way to shower, when I was suddenly pulled onto the front porch. Startled, I turned around to see who yanked me outside, and it was none other than Layla. 

Her eyes were cold and her arms were crossed. I didn't like where this was going. "I know you and Kendall were mates." My eyes widened in shock at her comment. He told her?

"Yeah.. we were"

"Great!" She smiled and clapped her hands together. "I also noticed how you were trying to seduce him" She turned cold again. 

"W-What? I would never do that" What the hell was she on about?

"You purposely kept rubbing your shoulder onto his." She stepped closer to me. I took one back. "Listen here. He's my mate now. Which means I am the future Luna. Not you. You'd better stay away from him or so help me-"

My back hit the porch of the railing. "You know what. I have a better idea." She smiled to herself and lowered her finger from my face. She took a step back and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. "Leave."

"What?"

"You heard me omega. Leave." 

"I-I don't understand.."

She threw her hands up in the air. "Don't play dumb with me! Leave the pack!"

I was shocked. She can't do that. "You can't do that."

She laughed. "I can and I will. I'm going to be Luna, and when I am, I'll kick you out. So why not just make this easier for the both of us and leave right now?"

I couldn't move. Or say anything. I didn't think she would go that far.

She stepped closer to me again. All of a sudden I was flying through the air. She pushed me off the porch. I landed hard on my left arm and heard a sickening crunch. God damnit.

"Leave or I'll do way worse." She spat on me, waiting for me to get up. 

And I did. I shifted into my white wolf and ran towards the woods behind the house. I ran until my body reminded me that I broke my arm. Turning around I realized that I had no idea where I was. There was no light, no sign of civilization. I was completely alone. I know I said I liked it that way. Being alone. But now all I wanted was a mate.

------------------------------------