ᴛʜᴇ ғɪʀsᴛ ᴛᴀsᴋ

NOTE: Hey guys!

How are you guys doing? I hope everyone is safe and taking care!

Another chapter is on!! Hope you like it! Please, let me know your thoughts about it.

Enjoy~~

━━━━━━━✦━━━━━━━

The first task was close, and just the thought of having to face something completely unknown was enough to unsettle anyone.

Harry was visibly worried, but whatever his parents had told him seemed to have helped, as he now spent most of his time training a specific spell. Cedric also seemed to be focused on something, as did Fleur, Aaron and Krum. It was passable to think that only Mia, Jamie and Adrian didn't have a plan yet.

Jamie was starting to get troubled with the task. Not because he had to do it, but because he had no idea what he was up against or what he had to learn. It was like taking a shot in the dark and hoping, with great faith, that he had a good eye.

He, Mia and Archie had studied a ton of different things, which sort of made him feel more secure but wasn't enough to completely erase his worries. The strategy Archer had come up with was spectacular, as they had predicted, and Jamie, rationally, knew that if they did things according to plan, they had a good chance of fighting.

"It's a lot for you guys to learn, so I split it up. Jamie, you'll learn these spells and hexes and study these animals. Mia, you'll take these creatures and these spells. Train together and train separately. You may not know everything, but if you each know a little, you'll be fine. Your teamwork does all the rest,"

Archer was the voice of reason when it came to seeking information. He was practical, very good at getting information, clever and weirdly good at understanding people, so neither questioned the division he had made. If Archie thought that strategy would work, it was because it probably would. In all those years of causing trouble, Archer's plans never failed.

Something that had also never happened in all those years; was Mia to go so long without talking to them. The morning after their trip to Hogsmeade, the girl received a letter that made her instantly shut both of her friends out. The two of them didn't know who had sent the letter, let alone what it said. What they did know, however, was that whatever was written there was enough to cause Euphemia to completely withdraw from them.

At first, they thought it was just another one of Kristoff or Iris' insistent and unnecessary letters, which was why they decided to give the girl some time to rearrange her thoughts before they all talked about it. Now, however, they thought it was more complicated than that.

The thing about Euphemia was that if she was under pressure or stressed, she needed a few days to clear her head and get herself together before telling them what the problem was. Pressuring never helped. On the contrary, it would only push her further away and affirm to her, even if unconsciously, that she had lost the one thing Mia couldn't accept losing.

Control.

Mia had almost no control of her life. For that reason, the small things she could actually control brought her a sense of security. As if, if she could decide anything in her life, no matter how insignificant, she wouldn't be totally bound by someone else's orders and wishes. Usually, what the girl always made sure to keep under her control, were her temper and social life.

With that in mind, it was clear to the two boys that whatever Kristoff or Iris had written in that letter probably made Mia feel that any of those things were no longer her responsibility.