Chapter 5 - The Gem of Amara

Amber awakes the next evening and yawns loudly. She runs a brush through her hair and wishes that she could look in a mirror. She doesn't consider herself vain, but she wants to make sure she looks at least decent. 

"Morning, pet." Spike appears out of nowhere, making her jump. 

"Pet? Morning? It's 6pm and I'm a girl if you hadn't noticed."

"Oh, I've noticed," Spike mumbles, just faint enough for Amber not to hear. 

"When do you think Buffy will be back? It's been four days now." 

"Well, it takes only an hour and a bit to get to LA so I say she's doing Angel."

Yuck. "Charming."

He grins. "You know me." Amber sighs and Spike continues, "I'm serious. It's been four days and I don't see her coming back in a hurry."

"What do you mean? I'm her friend and she knows I need her. She'll be back soon. She has to."

"I'm not saying she doesn't care about you. I'm just saying that meeting up with an ex can stir up some unexpected feelings and if I know Angel - which I do - I'd say that -"

"I don't need you to finish that sentence." 

"Fine." 

Amber did suspect that Buffy might have gotten a little off task. Also, the Gem of Amara was priceless and Angel might not give it up. Amber didn't know him that well, especially since he moved away, but hoped he'd do this for her - or at least for Buffy. This ring would transform her world the right way up again so she could go home and hang out with her friends, hug Dawn and Joyce again. Wow, she hadn't even said goodbye. Nothing was stopping her from making a late night visit to the Summer's residence but it felt weird. What would she say? Would they be mad, or scared? Or give her pitying looks that she could do without? Amber hopes Buffy isn't having 'fun' with Angel while she's stuck here with Spike. Above all, she misses her best friend. 

Amber snaps back into the conversation. "I just miss her. And I miss the sun. Hell, I even miss my job!" Amber volunteered often at the Sunnydale library. She loves books, but expected more interesting work to do than dusting. Amber sits down and wipes a tear from her cheek, praying Spike doesn't notice. 

He does. "I know it's hard, pet. I guess I take for granted that I had Dru and Angelus to guide me through my new life. And what it's like having a soul, I can't imagine." he looks sorrowful. "If there's anything else I can do - " He's cut off by the sound of a slamming door. Amber jumps up in alarm and fingers the stake strapped to her thigh. She created this contraption when she first discovered Buffy was a slayer and it has come in handy countless times.

Buffy strides in, worry lines deepening her face. "Buffy!" Amber shouts in relief, enveloping her friend in a big hug. "What's up?"

"The ring. I'm sorry Amber. Angel destroyed the ring."

"Oh." she squeaks.

"This one here," she gestures to Spike, "Came looking for the gem a while back. He kidnapped Angel and tortured him into giving him its location. In the end, Spike's little torture-obsessed vampire buddy stole it and Angel had to fight him to get it back. Then he destroyed it." Amber's face falls. "He had to. The risk of it getting into the wrong hands was too high." Both girls glare at Spike. He hangs his head. After a beat, he says:

"It was ages ago. I'm sorry Amber."

"Sorry?!" Amber flares up, her face flushing with heat. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't know he destroyed the damn thing!"

"But you must have thought this, this vampire guy had the ring! Why did you let Buffy go to all this trouble for nothing?" Her voice gets louder with each syllable. She knew Spike's old ways well so wasn't that angry or surprised. The false hope the ring had given her being shattered made her angry - and she needed to take it out on someone. 

"Amber," Buffy says softly, staring daggers at Spike, "Do you want to go home? We can figure something out."

"I think I'd like to stay and have a little chat with Spike for the moment, if that's ok." She tries her best to keep her voice level, but fury clearly floods through her sentence.

"Ok," Buffy understood. "I'll go. You know where I am if you need me." She smiles awkwardly and leaves.  

"Amber..." Spike reasons.

"I'm going out."

"Back to Buffy?"

"No. Patrolling. To clear my head."

"Amber, it's not a good idea going out in a state like this. You won't be focused and could get hurt."

Fire burns inside her and she marches over to Spike, until she's within an inch of his face. 

"Don't. You. Dare. Tell me what to do."

She slams the door and disappears into the darkness.