Chapter 21 - Before the Storm

Glory sits combing her luscious hair, her reflection beaming back at her in a gold framed mirror. She ignores Dawn's whimpers from the corner of the room.

The sky has deepened to indigo, and an unpleasant draft sweeps through the lavish room. 

"It's almost time." Glory sings, placing her hairbrush on the dresser. She admires herself in the mirror one last time before approaching Dawn. She claps her hands together sharply.

"Ok! Up you get. Time for me to go home."

Dawn does as she says, but can't help herself from shivering in the thin dress Glory had forced her to wear. The freezing air penetrates the sheer sleeves, infecting her whole body with ice. 

"I really appreciate you doing this for me, you know. Right, lets get you outside. My minions have built this tower thingy and once you're at the top, this'll all be over. I promise to make your death a quick one." She winks at Dawn and drags her harshly by the wrist into the night.

The steps are steep and she feels like her legs will give away at any moment. Glory ties her hands in place to prevent any chance of escape. Now 40 feet up in the air, swaying precariously on this metal structure, Dawn looks down on Sunnydale. She mentally says goodbye. Glory smiles in satisfaction. 

"It's Dawn, right?"

She nods feebly, lip trembling. 

"Just a little longer. See you in hell."

Finally alone, she lets herself cry. 

------------------------

Spike and Amber sit in The Magic Box, picking out weapons from a wooden chest hidden in Buffy's training room. Spike grabs a crossbow and Amber chooses a blood-stained axe because the handle ends in a stake. Glory probably has an assortment of creatures on her side, including vamps. Tara and Willow gather any ingredients they need for potential spells. They all meet up around the main table.

"Glory is planning to open the gates of hell tonight. She is going to kill Dawn in order to open the portal. The only option is to stop her before any of Dawn's blood is spilt. I mean, literally. If Dawn bleeds it will start the ritual and then we'll have no choice other than to sacrifice Dawn." Giles explains.

"So no plan B, guys." Xander says.

"So, we're all clear?" Buffy questions.

"Yes." They confirm in unison.  

Willow stands up. "We better go. The ritual is due to start in fifteen minutes."

Amber and Spike hang back as the group push through the door. 

"I feel like we're suppose to have a heartfelt conversation before nobly giving up our lives for the greater good, you know?"

The ghost of a smile flashes across Spike's face. "Yup." he responds. 

"Try not to die." 

"Oh Amber, you have such a way with words!" Spike sings sarcastically. "But seriously, love, don't do anything stupid. Stay safe."

"Of course. And you too."