Chapter 18 - Confession

It's a mellow evening at the Summer's residence. With Joyce out at an art exhibition, and Dawn staying with a friend, the Scoobies have the house to themselves. Buffy thinks it's best to treat Dawn no different so she doesn't grow suspicious but Amber still aches for the poor girl. But, today, they're collectively ignoring the impending danger. Xander and Anya are huddled on the couch and Willow is putting the DVD in. A cheesy horror movie - perfect for critiquing over popcorn and pizza. 

Ding!

The microwave goes off and Tara extracts the popcorn, being careful not to burn herself. She makes sure to do the little things - like making a snack - without magic. It helps to keep her grounded. She takes it out into the living room.

Buffy dims the lights, just as the doorbell rings. "We brought pizza!" Amber announces, entering the hallway and flashing a gleeful smile at the others. Spike stands on the porch, annoyed, and clears his throat pointedly. 

"Oh. Buff?" Amber jerks her head towards Spike. 

"Oh yeah. Come in, Spike." 

Buffy must be in a good mood. She was expecting at least a little protest, bringing him here. 

"No!" Xander groans loudly. "Why is he here?"

Ah, there it is.

"Come on Xander, don't be such a party pooper." Buffy says chirpily as Amber squishes herself in, next to Willow. 

"Why's she in such a good mood?" Amber hisses.

"Riley." Willow hisses back.

"I see..."

Spike awkwardly sandwiches himself between Amber and the misshapen arm of the couch. He grins, raising his eyebrows, as everyone shifts uncomfortably. 

"I guess I'll take the bean bag then," Willow sighs, getting up to join her girlfriend. Tara and Willow look adorable together on the bean bag. The way they hold hands and seem to fit each other perfectly.

"Earth to Amber! Hellooo?" She snaps back into reality. "I said, vegetable or pepperoni?"

"Veg, please and thanks." She takes a slice and settles back into the couch, pulling a knitted blanket over herself.  

The film is just as corny as she had expected. A helpless blonde getting brutally slashed at the start, then sparkly vampires killing and falling in love, and then killing some more. It's funny how Buffy keeps interjecting with how the film is inaccurate, each time with Anya pausing it - not wanting to miss a moment. It's so blissful to have a taste of normality.

"Oh look! It's Spike!" Buffy half-jokes when a pasty, hideous monster jumps out on screen. The similarity between their hair was uncanny. 

Amber snorts before she can stop herself, spraying lemonade out of her nose. Everyone erupts in giggles as she gets up and heads into the kitchen, in search for a paper towel. 

Spike's on her heels, sneaking up on her as she pulls a tissue out of a blue cardboard box on the breakfast table. Out of sight from everyone else, Spike doesn't miss the opportunity to get some quick flirting in before the gang wonder where they are.

He admires her. She's wearing loose joggers and one of Spike's old t-shirts. It's way too baggy but he finds it cute. He watches her wipe her face, dump the lemonade in the sink, and refill the glass with water. 

A superficial scream echoes out from the living room, followed by booming rock music. "It's finished!" Xander shouts to them.

"OK, coming!" Amber replies and she turns to see Spike. He leans forward onto the table, eyes taking every inch of her in. She bashfully meets his gaze and their eyes lock. 

"You look beautiful today." She blushes a little at the compliment and pecks him on the cheek. 

"Thanks. As do you." He leans further over the table, and deeply kisses her. He departs briefly to skirt around the table, pushing her lower back into the counter. It feels chilly, but doesn't prod into her. The kiss resumes and Amber puts a hand on his chest, the thin black fabric tickling her fingers. How she wishes she could rip it off and - 

The loud clatter of a plate smashing almost makes both vampires jump out of their skin. They swivel their heads in unison to see all five of their friends staring at them. Xander and Buffy have their mouths wide open, the bulging whites of their eyes make them look ghostly. Fragments of ceramic litter the floor at Willow's feet. Spike smirks. Xander stammers something too garbled to understand. 

Amber's body feels too heavy, her feet rooted to the spot. Fuck. 

She takes a small step back.

The shocked silence is unbearable.

"Explain yourself." Buffy demands, crossing her arms against her chest.

"Huh. I- ?" Amber gasps, "Is it hot in here?" She pulls her t-shirt away from her neck, it's sticking to her like glue.

Spike's eyes are alight with mischief - he is enjoying this way too much. 

"Oh my gosh. Well. Guys. Spike and I have kind of been seeing each other for a while now."

"When did this happen?" Buffy's voice is full of apprehension, her eyes narrow.

"That night you found us in the graveyard, after we were attacked by that gang of demons that looked like bulls. So, a good few weeks."

"A very good few weeks, if you catch my drift." Spike winks and Amber cringes; when she whacks him in the chest, he only smiles. 

"Oh my god. Shut up." Xander grimaces. He wags his finger at them, as if telling off some misbehaving children, "I knew something was up... that night at The Bronze... you were acting so weird!"

Amber slumps down in a chair. At least it's a great weight off her shoulders, even if it wasn't how she planned to break the news.

"I swear I was going to tell you," she promises, scanning the group, "There was never a right time."

Willow kneels down to pick up the pieces of the broken plate. "As long as you're happy - and safe," she adds, "then we are happy for you. Aren't we?"

Tara and Anya nod honestly, while Buffy and Xander mutter 'yeah' unconvincingly.  

"I think you make a great couple." Tara states, while Buffy turns to her, outraged.

"But Tara, you have no idea about all the atrocious things he's done! He's a soulless vampire! And a jerk."

"Hey! If Amber's happy, then we're happy." Willow reiterates. "It'll be morning soon, you lovebirds better get going." She gives them a genuine smile. Amber resists the strong urge to hug her.

"Yeah. I'll see you all soon, okay?" She shuffles out of the room awkwardly. The whole way home, Spike's smiling to himself like an idiot.